New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Finally making the upgrade!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
bball3414
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Finally making the upgrade!

Hey all,

So, I haven't posted here in easily over a year and a half. I look at posts still weekly, put haven't had anything to say I guess.
Since my last posting, I decided to switch careers to get into the brewing industry and I was able to accomplish that goal! February of 2011 I found a small brewery outside of Boston, MA called Blue Hills Brewery. I interned there a couple days a week while keeping my 9-5 job. I learned a hell of a lot from the owner there. I was able to parlay all that I learned into a full time job at Harpoon Brewery in Boston this past April.
Right now I work in the cellar cleaning tanks, taking gravities and what not. My ultimate goal is to become a brewer here now. I've got a ways to work up to it though!

Now with my thread title. I finally purchased a new 10gal pot from midwest supplies and cooler mashtun fitting from bargainfittings. Hopefully all the parts are here by next weekend!
I plan on starting off with batch sparging and moving up to fly whenever I get more outdoor area (currently live in a small third floor apartment).

Im stoked right now and fedex can't get this stuff to me soon enough!!

What should I brew for my first all-grain batch? I want to do something I haven't before and something off the beaten path pretty much. I've done IPA's, stouts, dunkelweizens, summer beers and other simple things. And, I don't have the capability to lager... so any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Elaelap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Good for you! For the first all grain, I'd stick with something simple. A popular choice would be EdWorts Haus Pale, it's a simple grain bill, and produces good results. However, if you want to do something semi-crazy, why not make a holiday Porter/Stout or event a Pumpkin Ale? Good luck with the new career!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 2170

I'm pretty excited about making Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Porter in the next week. Maybe you could try that.

Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My first AG was a Maris Otter/Northern Brewer SMASH APA. Simple to brew, hard to mess up, and unlike any commercial brew:

5.0 gallon batch

10 lbs Maris Otter
0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
0.5 oz Norther Brewer @ 15 min
0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 5 min
Safale S-05 yeast

Ferment @ 60F for 2-3 weeks
Bottle (5 oz priming sugar)/Keg (2.5 atmospheres) carb and condition for 2-3 weeks

About as easy as it gets, and a great brew with a slightly sweet malt character and clean citrusy hop character!

Primary #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cranberry Cider
Primary #2 - Baltic Porter
Primary #3 - Schwartzbier
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Smoked Vidalia Onion Beer
Keg #2 - EMPTY!
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
bball3414
Recipes 

Thanks guys! It's funny with those two mentions... the pumpkin ale and vanilla bourbon porter... I've never done a pumpkin ale and zymurgy has an article on bourbon oaked beer this month. I'm thinking a trip to the local home brew store and liquor store might be in order.... parts should be here by the 18th!

Old 09-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
bball3414
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM
My first AG was a Maris Otter/Northern Brewer SMASH APA. Simple to brew, hard to mess up, and unlike any commercial brew:

5.0 gallon batch

10 lbs Maris Otter
0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
0.5 oz Norther Brewer @ 15 min
0.5 oz Northern Brewer @ 5 min
Safale S-05 yeast

Ferment @ 60F for 2-3 weeks
Bottle (5 oz priming sugar)/Keg (2.5 atmospheres) carb and condition for 2-3 weeks

About as easy as it gets, and a great brew with a slightly sweet malt character and clean citrusy hop character!
What's the definition of a s smash ale again?

Old 09-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
HopPhish
Recipes 

Single Malt And Single Hop

Old 09-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
bball3414
Recipes 

Makes sense now haha. The brewery I interned at does those as a specialty offer for a few months at a time

Quick Reply