Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Finally improved efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Finally improved efficiency

After hanging around in the lower 70% range, I brewed Thursday at 84%. The only thing that I did differently was that I put the grain through my mill twice. Mayabe I need to adjust the settings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Could be. Did you mash longer or sparge more or use a higher temperature?

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 09-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

No. I have been following what I believe is Bobby Martin's techniques of a mash out with near boiling water to get about 1/2 my boil volume followed by 2 equal sparges to get the remainder. This brew was a Pale Ale using a total grain bill of 9.5 lbs.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
JMD87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
After hanging around in the lower 70% range, I brewed Thursday at 84%. The only thing that I did differently was that I put the grain through my mill twice. Mayabe I need to adjust the settings.
I remember reading this post, and it just so happens the same thing happened to me.

I use a mill at my LHBS store, because they let you crush for free. I have consistently gotten around 75-77% efficiency with bobby_m's double batch sparge method. I was happy with it, consistency is more important than a high efficiency. Anyway, I milled some grain on friday and noticed it was a much better crush with way more flour.

I just put the #'s in and I got 88% into the boiler (82% brewhouse).

I attribute this 100% to the mill being adjusted. I always milled the grain twice with the way it used to be, and this time I couldn't because it was too
"fluffy".

Just reinforcing that Crush is most likely the cause to efficiency woes
Bottle Conditioning- Marzen
Drinking- Amarillo Pale,Oatmeal Stout
On Deck - Porter, Helles

Old 09-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
BullF-16
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My first AG batch last weekend I got 69% eff into the boiler. The grains were from AHS and they milled it also. After reading all the posts on low efficiency and the importance of crush i ordered a Barleycrusher from Northernbrewer. I adjusted the gap to .034 from the factory setting of .039. My efficieny into the boiler yesterday was 87%. I double batch sparged and used the same method as my first AG batch. What a difference a decent milling makes.

Quick Reply