Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Final Gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
AMMODOG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Final Gravity

I brewed a Chocolate Milk Stout three weeks ago. OG was 1.061, I used Safale s-04 dry yeast, without a starter. After two weeks I moved to a secondary and took another reading, it was 1.023. I fermented at 65f. Will the FG continue to go down? I plan to leave for another week or two before I keg and then let sit for awhile more, found the last batch aged well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well it could go down depending on your recipe however you should not transfer a typical ale until it has reached final gravity, the way you tell that is to take gravity readings, if the gravity is stable over a 3 day period then you're good. For most average OG beers I typically wait 3 weeks to take the first gravity reading.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 125

As COLObrewer stated, maybe it will and maybe it won't. Take gravity readings a few days apart and see if you continue to get movement. If so, it's still working and if not, then you've likely reached the end of the line as far as gravity is concerned.

Was it all-grain or partial mash? If all-grain, at what temp did you mash? What was your recipe and expected FG?

Regardless, it's not a good idea to transfer to secondary until it's reached FG or is real close. Moving it off the yeast before it's done is not likely to help it finish, though the gravity would continue to drop if there are fermentables still remaining, but it will take longer than if you had left it in primary until it reached FG.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
AMMODOG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

All Grain, Mashed at 152f. Never really done the readings until I either go to secondary or keg. I have a feeling this could be one of two things now; I just purchased a temp controller and had it cooler than I ever had. OR, after reading a lot more posts the yeast counts were not good enough. Had just the dry yeast I hydrated for an hour or so, but no starter. I do not have a thief yet, just never felt I needed it as I usually wait to keg for three or four weeks. thanks.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Remember that lactose adds to your FG, as it's nonfermentable. A pound of lactose in a 5 gallon batch adds .009 to the FG (and the OG). So, you may be about right for a milk stout.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-30-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
AMMODOG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yooper, I have not read that anywhere and will have to look that up. 1.061 OG, 1.023 so far, which is not bad, but .009 would certainly be pretty decent. I also think I could get a couple more points over a couple weeks. I think it was very slow ferment and should have waited a bit.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
Jbird
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

My ale stopped fermenting two days ago and I check OG. It sat a 1.022. Wish it would be 1.010. So your all saying just wait for it to be a steady OG for a fee days then move it? But it might still fall too?

Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 318

It might still fall. Help the yeast along by getting them where it is a little warmer. As the yeast start fermenting you want it cool to keep them from running away and creating off flavors but that period only takes 3 or 4 days normally. Once the easy sugars are gone they like it warmer as they work their way through the cleanup. I bring mine to room temp and it seems that they finish where they should.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #9
Jbird
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN
It might still fall. Help the yeast along by getting them where it is a little warmer. As the yeast start fermenting you want it cool to keep them from running away and creating off flavors but that period only takes 3 or 4 days normally. Once the easy sugars are gone they like it warmer as they work their way through the cleanup. I bring mine to room temp and it seems that they finish where they should.
That's good to know. I'm still new to this. I can only ferment at room temp. I don't have a refrigerator to put them in. It's work great for me now so I'll just do it that way untill I get a lager.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMODOG View Post
All Grain, Mashed at 152f. Never really done the readings until I either go to secondary or keg. I have a feeling this could be one of two things now; I just purchased a temp controller and had it cooler than I ever had. OR, after reading a lot more posts the yeast counts were not good enough. Had just the dry yeast I hydrated for an hour or so, but no starter. I do not have a thief yet, just never felt I needed it as I usually wait to keg for three or four weeks. thanks.
Also, don't leave your rehydrated yeast hanging around for an hour, they begin to starve fairly quickly. Rehydration should only take about 30 minutes and that is if you are tempering it by gradually adding a little wort every 10 minutes to get the temperatures matched.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply