Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > filtering hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 04:01 AM   #11
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

I know most of you guys have seen this, but I thought I'd put this up there for any new guys that may be reading. This little contraption has worked great for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2007, 04:25 AM   #12
perry
Recipes 

I love this website! Sparky that think is a piece of work! Brilliant.

As far as Marosell's question, I agree with the folks here who say it won't be bad for your beer... But here's what I'd do with THIS batch, rather than try to filter all that crap out of there when you rack into the keg or bottling thingy- when your fermentation is done, lower the temp of the carboy and the flat beer to around 40-45 deg, either by ice bath or fridge or whatever. Gently agitate the fermenter often over that cooling time, and then let it sit for a couple more days. All those hop petals and seeds should settle out and then you can siphon as usual.

G'luck -p

Old 08-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a slightly related question. I found myself in a tight spot recently with some dead yeast (or atleast they were in a very deep hybernation, with a 3 day starter they hadn't been activated by pitch time). I had to run to the LHBS and I grabbed a pack of Munton's Premium Gold yeast. They seemed to ferment fine, but they ended up as gobs of yeast floating throughout the primary. When I racked, some of thes gobs got sucked through the siphon and into the secondary. Is that normal for yeast to gob up like that and float around? I think next time I'll put a nylon bag over the siphon like BierMuncher.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Yeast can do some strange things. I've had some of the gobs I think you're describing. Eventually they settle to the bottom.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

On another thread someone named cubbies stated that leaving hops in the primary really helps with clearing the beer because it gives protiens something to cling to. That sounds right to me, but I haven't tried it before.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Quick Reply