Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > figuring mash temps for a system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You pretty much can't have too much water. Standard mash range goes up to 3qt/gal and biab no sparge uses very thin mashes. Of course the mash water volume effects the sparge water volume.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #12
revelation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've used this calculator and been spot on every time (well, excepting that one time my digital thermometer broke and gave me a reading higher than my strike water temp - but again, my thermometer broke so I discount that time).

http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

Primary: Simcoe Pale Ale
Secondary: None
In Bottles: Mais Oui! Saison
In Kegs: Test Saison 1 and Test Saison 2
On Tap: Freni's Best Milk Stout, Black Ale

Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've also used the brewers friend calc. It's been very accurate for me. I don't preheat either. I like my temp a little high then stir to bring it down.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
mm1473
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your responses and advice. As it was my first all grain I was rather happy for how smoothly it went. Other than the low strike temp and having to add a bunch of water everything else went extraordinarily better than I was expecting. My vorlouf technique needs some work but for a first run with my system I got between 70-75% efficiency depending on the calculator I plugged it into and the kind of efficiency I was calculating. I figured I would be in the 60's and would have been happy staying out of the 50's so 70ish was a nice surprise.

I will say though watching that giant foamy mess heading for the rim of my BK prior to the hot break was a little nerve racking--don't remember that happening on my extract brews!!

Unfortunately I wont be able to do another batch for at least a month in order to avoid the disapproving glares from my wife, but when that day comes I will take all your advice to heart and see if I can improve things. Thanks again.

Quick Reply