Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > FG of 1st all grain lower than expected.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
alee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default FG of 1st all grain lower than expected.

I brewed my first all grain (an ESB) last weekend. The OG was 1.055 and it was mashed at 152 deg F. I checked the gravity this morning and it was 1.005! This is by far the lowest gravity I have had since brewing. My extract brews were usually 1.011ish. Is this due to the switch to all grain or is it because of the mash temp? I like dry beers so it is perfect for me. Just curious because it doesn't match Beersmith's estimated FG of 1.013 and it is out of range for the beer style.
I will drink the heck out of it though and enjoy every drop!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Beersmith is usually accurate for me at their "medium" temperature setting, whatever they call it. 154*. At 150 - 152 I get FG similar to you, at 156 it is in the high teens or so.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
alee
Recipes 

OK,thanks. I used 170 deg water to mash with which game me an exactly 152 deg mash. I am brewing a smoked poter this weekend and should probably not shoot for such a dry beer. Should I increase the mash water temp a couple of degrees only? I am using a 10gal rubbermaid water cooler with a false bottom. It only lost 1 deg over an hour.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee View Post
OK,thanks. I used 170 deg water to mash with which game me an exactly 152 deg mash. I am brewing a smoked poter this weekend and should probably not shoot for such a dry beer. Should I increase the mash water temp a couple of degrees only? I am using a 10gal rubbermaid water cooler with a false bottom. It only lost 1 deg over an hour.
All else being equal, for a smoked porter I'd go with 154 personally. It doesn't take much to get too hot and wind up with an overly sweet tasting beer.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5155 Times on 3718 Posts
Likes Given: 1081

Make sure you check your thermometer, if you haven't. I've had problems myself with overattenuation, and have to mash a little higher because of it. My thermometer is spot on, though, now. If your thermometer is off even by 2 degrees, it can make a difference in attenuation.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
alee
Recipes 

I always calibrate both thermometers in boiling water before I brew. They have an adjustment on the back..which I'm sure most do.

Quick Reply