New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > FG 1.006 for IPA??? Help? Pointers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
boswell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default FG 1.006 for IPA??? Help? Pointers?

Brewed Midwest's Hop head double IPA in a new cooler set up. Went wrong every which way. The false bottom became 'unhooked' when the locking nut and elbow came apart, had to pour the mash into a couple buckets, put everything together, pour mash back into the cooler. . .. this happened TWICE. Now to my questions, I mashed high 155ish, for 75 mins, and ended up around 1.070ish going into primary, used two packets of s-05, sat for two weeks, the gravity before going into secondary (dry hopping) was 1.006-.008. The beer smells very boozy and thin (to be expected with FG).

Malt bill:
14 lbs. Domestic 2-Row barley malt, 4 oz. Aromatic, 12 oz. Caramel 60L, 8 oz. Victory

Any reasons why? I assumed it would finish sweet because my mash temp was too high. I will report back with any other details I remember, just can't get my head around what happened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

HOw did you manage to keep the temp at 155 thru all that? I bet the temp fells both time you did that and resulted in a very fermentable wort. Did you mash out as well? Are positive both gravity readings were correct? That is crazy dry.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

i'm gonna venture a guess that the mash temp dropped quite a bit while you were monkeying around

Old 07-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
spriolo
Recipes 

Your actual mashing temp was below 149*F for most of the "fixing and breaking mash tun" and pulled mostly fermentables out of your grain. no?

Although I've heard of others using S-05 an getting 85%+ attenuation (yours is closer to 88%).

Two packets of s-05? What was your volume when you pitched? 8 GAL?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
boswell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Strike water was a little hot, even with pouring back and forth, twice(!) the mash was still between 153-155 even at mash out. Sparging was a pain in the ass as well, ended up collecting around 6.5 gallons for 70 minute boil, ended up with just at 5 gallons in the bucket. Prepared two packets ahead of time because I had predicted the SG to be a little higher than the 1.070, so pitched the whole measuring cup. Will report more details as I think of them.

edit: My bucket was sitting in a plastic keg bin with water half way up, down in the basement. The temp strip read 73 the whole first week.

Last edited by boswell; 07-25-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Have you calibrated the thermometer and hydrometer? Are you adjusting for temp in your gravity readings? 2 dry packets is also a pretty heavy overpitch. That might help net the extra attenuation as well.

The real question is, though, how does it TASTE?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Are you saying it's too dry for you? If so then you can add MaltoDextrine when you bottle/keg, that will up the FG and give you more body without affecting the taste of the beer. I usually add 4oz for a 5gal batch if a beer is too thin for me.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Me Too.....

I also had a similar experience with an APA I brewed using S-05. 1.006 gravity while racking to secondary for dry hop. Really made the bitterness come across. I to was wondering if I could add something to tame it a little when kegging. Lactose came to mind right away, but I didn't know what that would do to the style. Would the MaltoDextrine be better, and the 4 oz you spoke of was that by weight or volume. This is a five gallon batch that I will be sugar priming in the keg in about another week

Thanks,

Noob, first time poster, long time lurker!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

MaltoDextrine adds no taste to the beer, just body & mouthfeel. 4oz is by weight.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did the same kit a few months ago and wish mine had come down a little more from 1.010-12 as the only bad comment I've had on it is that it's a bit sweet, so you may be fine. Used the Wyeast 1056 with a starter. Not that it makes much of a difference, but I split the dry hop into 2 1 oz additions. One going into the secondary at 1.013 and the second about a week and a half later. Really good beer

Quick Reply