Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Few questions about PM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Toppers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Few questions about PM

About to start my first few PM's going mostly by Deathbrewer's write-up (thanks for that!) but was curious...

1) All the methods of PM'ing mention late, or close to end of boil extract addition. I plan to do this exclusively, any reason I can't do this every time?

2) Forgive my noobness but why can't you do an all grain with this method? Something to do with holding temperature in the mash with this method isn't as efficient and you can't get 100% of your fermentables this method?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

1) You need some level of SG for the hops to give-up their bitterness. If there is some mater in the wort (in this case the PM) you dont need the extracts. You add them late to sanitize them.

2) You can but on a smaller scale (or to the max size of your pot) If you re-read his post

Quote:
I use this method to do 5 gallon partial mashes and 2.5 gallon all grains several times a week.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
1) You need some level of SG for the hops to give-up their bitterness. If there is some mater in the wort (in this case the PM) you dont need the extracts. You add them late to sanitize them.
I believe John Palmer debunked that not too long ago. IBU extraction has no correlation with wort gravity.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I've done late LME extract addition on all of my PM brews with good results. Typically I'll add 1/4 to 1/3 of my extract to my grain runnings then start the boil, turn off the burner with 5-10 minutes left and add my extract, then return to boil and finish my time (and 5 min hops).

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do late additions all the time. Now I'm switching to DME instead od using LME but basically the same thing.

One thing you might want to do is add a cup of extract to the mashing water - helps the PH.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Quick Reply