The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Few issues with my sparge water volumes and gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 103

No, read my previous post. You can estimate by subtracting the amount lost to absorption from your mash water. So if you mash with 3 gallons, and10 pounds of grain absorb 1.2 gallons, your first running will be about 1.8 gallons. Then as I said, I add a quart or two to the sparge calculation so as not to end up short.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad
No, read my previous post. You can estimate by subtracting the amount lost to absorption from your mash water. So if you mash with 3 gallons, and10 pounds of grain absorb 1.2 gallons, your first running will be about 1.8 gallons. Then as I said, I add a quart or two to the sparge calculation so as not to end up short.
Gotcha! Feel a little stupid now haha. Wouldn't be the first time either. I really appreciate all the help! I'll be sure to take some really detailed notes next time I brew so I can get everything really dialed in.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Take a look at www.dennybrew.com

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Take a look at www.dennybrew.com
Better yet, read about it from the batch sparge master!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Denny, I actually read through your page a few times before my first all grain go around and it was a HUGE help. I guess I just misread/overlooked the water volume part. I figured it would be easy to heat the sparge water halfway through the mash but I guess that's not necessary. Thanks again guys! I freakin love how helpful his forum is.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So while reading through Denny's site, I noticed he mentions adding a certain volume of water to hit 50% of pre-boil volume with his first runnings. Is this needed/beneficial to efficiency?

My only water additions have been my strike water and my sparge water. Should I be adding more water after the mash and before the sparge to hit 3.25-3.5 gallons of first runnings? If so, what temperature should that water be?

I don't mean to hi-jack, just having my world turned upside down yet again by delving deeper into the mind of Denny haha.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

The only thing I can think that would be referring to is mash out water to halt any further conversion. In any case I don't really see it helping efficiency that much.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

It seems like a mash-out addition but Denny didn't note what temperature the water was and it sounded like it's only purpose was to increase the volume of the first runnings.

I didn't think the first runnings volume mattered. I figure just sparge until you hit your pre-boil volume. Also with batch sparging I thought doing a mash-out was inconsequential and unnecessary... so that leaves me .... puzzled?!?!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrookie View Post
So while reading through Denny's site, I noticed he mentions adding a certain volume of water to hit 50% of pre-boil volume with his first runnings. Is this needed/beneficial to efficiency?

My only water additions have been my strike water and my sparge water. Should I be adding more water after the mash and before the sparge to hit 3.25-3.5 gallons of first runnings? If so, what temperature should that water be?

I don't mean to hi-jack, just having my world turned upside down yet again by delving deeper into the mind of Denny haha.
Since I wrote that (I GOTTA get some edits up!), I've discovered that that is seldom necessary. For one thing, while equal volumes does give you the best efficiency theoretically, in practice it doesn't make much difference. even a 70/30 split will have negligible effect on efficiency. These days, I mash with a higher ratio (1.75 qt./lb. is average) in order to avoid that. I have found that the thinner mash did actually raise my efficiency a couple points. I use a water temp of about 190 for both the pre mash runoff addition if I do it, and for the sparge water.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Thanks for the clarification Denny!!! Does the 190F water extract any tannins or is it just enough to raise your grain bed temp with out having to worry about astringency issues?

I have been sparging with 170-175F water :-/

Quick Reply