The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fermentation time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
ericbw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Fermentation time

I have been doing everything for 4 weeks in primary. On some of them, it seems like the last 2 weeks is when it starts to look like beer, and the last week really clears. So that schedule seems to work ok. But...

With an American wheat beer, which doesn't need to clear as much, how short could the primary fermentation be? Assume the ambient temp is about 63 degrees, and I have been using US-05. Would 2 weeks in primary be enough before bottling (then usually 2 weeks conditioning at room or cellar temp and then refrigerator for 3-7 days)?

I have heard people talk about 3 weeks for a wheat, but I think they usually are using a German yeast for the usual flavors. I also think they are kegging. Short fermentations seem to taste like... homemade beer. Does hefe yeast mask the young flavor? Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
ljforster701
Recipes 

According to my lhbs Oberon is usually done in about 16-18 days. Meaning bottle/kegged. I asked the same question and that was the answer.

NGFB - No Good Friends Brewing
Est 12/05/12

Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I never leave a beer in the fermenter more than about 10-14 days, unless I'm dryhopping or oaking or something.

A good rule of thumb is to keep the beer a minimum of three days in the fermenter once it's done fermenting. After that, depending on yeast strain, the beer will start to clear.

S05 never clears well for me, but other strains do. Some English strains will clear the beer well, and drop like a rock to the bottom of the fermenter by about day 10, while S05 just seems to take forever. So it really depends on how clear the beer is.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

how to have a wheat done in the shortest amount of time possible:

step 1 draw off 4-8 ounces of worst after pitching yeast. set somewhere warm. this is your sample.
step 2 after three days, your sample should be done. mind that signs of fermentation have completed. measure the SG, this is your target FG
step 3 monitor your fermenting beer closely. when it is 3-4 points above FG, bottle with NO priming sugar.

this isn't super practical, but it is certainly possible.
you could just wait until the day you actually hit target gravity and then prime and bottle as normal and still have a beer in ~ 20 days.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
ericbw
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I never leave a beer in the fermenter more than about 10-14 days, unless I'm dryhopping or oaking or something.

A good rule of thumb is to keep the beer a minimum of three days in the fermenter once it's done fermenting. After that, depending on yeast strain, the beer will start to clear.

S05 never clears well for me, but other strains do. Some English strains will clear the beer well, and drop like a rock to the bottom of the fermenter by about day 10, while S05 just seems to take forever. So it really depends on how clear the beer is.
To make sure I understand: you leave it in the primary until the gravity stops dropping (10-14 days) and then bottle or keg?

Does it make a difference if it is bottled vs. kegged?

How long do you condition in bottles after that?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
To make sure I understand: you leave it in the primary until the gravity stops dropping (10-14 days) and then bottle or keg?

Does it make a difference if it is bottled vs. kegged?

How long do you condition in bottles after that?
No. I leave it in the primary until the gravity stops dropping and active fermentation signs are over. Then I wait at least three days for the yeast to "clean up" after themselves (they even digest some of their own waste products at the end of fermentation) and for the beer to clear.

After at least three days, and the beer is clear or clearing, I bottle or keg. This is for ales. For lagers, that's when I begin lagering. For me, I usually bottle or keg ales between day 10-14.

It depends on the beer, but I'm often drinking kegged beers three-four weeks from brewday, sometimes sooner for beers like a mild, and sometimes later for beers like stouts.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
ericbw
Recipes 

Quote:
No. I leave it in the primary until the gravity stops dropping and active fermentation signs are over. Then I wait at least three days for the yeast to "clean up" after themselves (they even digest some of their own waste products at the end of fermentation) and for the beer to clear.

After at least three days, and the beer is clear or clearing, I bottle or keg. This is for ales. For lagers, that's when I begin lagering. For me, I usually bottle or keg ales between day 10-14.

It depends on the beer, but I'm often drinking kegged beers three-four weeks from brewday, sometimes sooner for beers like a mild, and sometimes later for beers like stouts.
See, I ALMOST can't believe you. Ha ha. Any time I have done a short fermentation, it has tasted bad - too sweet or something. I also have noticed a difference with longer fermentations from the clean up. Pretty amazing!

I'm not really terribly concerned with the timing, but since summer is coming, I know the supply will dwindle quicker than usual. The way I do things now, it's 6 weeks start to finish, which means some planning is in order.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

long "fermentation" for normal beers is a crutch method. as you get better at this thing, you won't need ten year primaries

Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
See, I ALMOST can't believe you. Ha ha. Any time I have done a short fermentation, it has tasted bad - too sweet or something. I also have noticed a difference with longer fermentations from the clean up. Pretty amazing!

I'm not really terribly concerned with the timing, but since summer is coming, I know the supply will dwindle quicker than usual. The way I do things now, it's 6 weeks start to finish, which means some planning is in order.
You don't have to believe me. Try it yourself!

A couple of important things that make it work- pitch the proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature, always. And always control fermentation temperature.

A well made beer is ready far sooner than some people believe. Think of the best brewpubs or commercial craft breweries you know- then ask them if they keep their beer in the primary for a month. They'll look at your like you are crazy.

Keeping the beer for a long time in the fermenter may fix some problematic fermentations. My point is that if you make the beer properly in the first place, you don't need time to age out problems.

And some people, like me, don't like the yeast character imparted by an ultra long primary. Some people do prefer that, so it's really a matter of taste.

So try it!

Make a double batch of beer. In the first fermenter, do it your normal way. In the second, pitch the proper amount of yeast (per a yeast pitching calculator), at a lower temperature (say, 60 degrees for an ale). Allow it to rise to 65 degrees for 5 days, and then allow it to rise to 68 degrees or so for another 5 days or so. Then package it when it's clear.

Try the beers side by side and see which you prefer. If you prefer the former, great. Then you are doing exactly what you should be doing. If you prefer the latter, then make some permanent changes in your brewing habits.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
ericbw
Recipes 

Quote:
You don't have to believe me. Try it yourself!

A couple of important things that make it work- pitch the proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature, always. And always control fermentation temperature.

A well made beer is ready far sooner than some people believe. Think of the best brewpubs or commercial craft breweries you know- then ask them if they keep their beer in the primary for a month. They'll look at your like you are crazy.

Keeping the beer for a long time in the fermenter may fix some problematic fermentations. My point is that if you make the beer properly in the first place, you don't need time to age out problems.

And some people, like me, don't like the yeast character imparted by an ultra long primary. Some people do prefer that, so it's really a matter of taste.

So try it!

Make a double batch of beer. In the first fermenter, do it your normal way. In the second, pitch the proper amount of yeast (per a yeast pitching calculator), at a lower temperature (say, 60 degrees for an ale). Allow it to rise to 65 degrees for 5 days, and then allow it to rise to 68 degrees or so for another 5 days or so. Then package it when it's clear.

Try the beers side by side and see which you prefer. If you prefer the former, great. Then you are doing exactly what you should be doing. If you prefer the latter, then make some permanent changes in your brewing habits.
Temperature control is an issue right now. I basically have two options right now: basement with steady low temps, or in the house with higher but fluctuating temps. So this might be a dumb question, but how do you (cheaply) control temperature with that kind of precision?

I have two empty gallon jugs because I just bottled today. So I can do the side by side, but how to control the temperature? I can figure out how to do it lower - swamp cooler, etc., but raising the temp?

Quick Reply