Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fermentation Temps Fluctuations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
professorbrother
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Temps Fluctuations

So,

I'm brewing an interesting wheat stout ale from austin homebrew w/ an original gravity about 1.060. Since I didn't want to deal (or have ever tried) a starter it was recommended I pitch more yeast (two vials of London Ale/White Labs) in order to have enough "kids in the pool."

All was fine after the first 24 hours of fermentation, lot's of activity, however, I noticed a rapid drop off in activity after about 36 hours. I don't have a fermentation chiller (I use a closet) and since I live in Austin, it's still quite warm out. I noticed I started reaching the 78-80 degree range and decided I needed to cool the batch down in the fridge. As calmly as possible, I moved the batch to the fridge.

Now, because of a combination of allergies (thanks central Texas) and allergy medicine I passed out and left the batch in the fridge overnight. I awoke to find my batch had cooled to 55 degrees. I pulled it out this morning, placed it back into the closet where it now is. It was still showing activity (airlock bubbles) throughout the day, but has now (15 hours later and at 72 degrees) showing more life then when I freaked out and put it in the fridge.

Basically I was curious if anyone thought this was a destructive thing to do and/or any other thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keep it at 72 and you will be fine... and don't do that again.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't say I've done that, but I'd be less worried about a big temperature dip than I would be about a big spike. I wouldn't expect anything bad to come of it.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Quick Reply