New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > fermentation smell question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3870 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulStat View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm getting a similar smell from my starter I made yesterday, I used some yeast washed a month ago. Should I ditch the starter? It really does stink of sour milk.

Thanks,
Paul
From the starter? Boy, I don't know. I mean, there are all kinds of smells during from fermentation, but if your starter has a lacto infection, it can ruin the whole batch.

I guess I'd let it ferment out, and then see what the result is. If it still smells bad, I'd toss it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
tetrylone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yeah bro - Relax and take pride in the fact the the yeasties are having a grand ol' party in yer wort right now.

Seriously tho- depending on the ingredients as well as the type of yeast you are using, you will get a myriad of different smells from tasty beer type smells to nasty rotten egg smells. This is all normal.

-Tetrylone

?~?Que?~?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply