The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > fermentation smell question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
JBrady
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default fermentation smell question

Hello, i swore i wouldn't jump the gun on thinking something was wrong with my first brew ever, but i do have a question so that i can learn. I knew that this first brew didn't go quite as planned and that chances of it not going well were high, but im having so much fun that im just already planning brew number two. Anyways, Im keeping my fermenter in a keggerator with temp. controls, so my fermentation is staying right on 70 degrees, and when i open the door every hour or so i get the most sour assed smell coming from inside. the kegerator has never had kegged beer or anything in it prior, its brand new. So i was just wondering, what kind of smell do you get through fermentation normally? Is a sour assed smell bad? Im only 5 or so hours into fermentation. the recipe has oats wheat black malt chocolate malt 2 row pale malt flaked barley and crystal malt. chinook pellet and fuggles leaf for hops. Do all fermentations have a smell or just bad ones? thanks for any info.
EDIT- Its not that sour of a smell, almost like opening a jug of milk and smelling it, not sour milk, just milk.
EDIT-Ok its starting to smell more like sour milk in my opinion.

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Last edited by JBrady; 07-17-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
newkarian
Recipes 

In my limited experiences (only on my 4th batch) fermenting beer can make some pretty weird smells. Some nice some not so nice. Wait till you try a batch of apfelwein, mmm Rhino farts. I wouldnt worry about it. Also when you taste the beer hydrometer readings and think its nasty dont worry. Your beer will be completely different when its properly aged and carbed. One more thing how are you monitoring temps. Is 70 the temp of your beer or the kegerator. The only reason I ask is that during fermentation the temps can be as much as 10 degrees higher than the ambient temp and can lead to off flavors. Anyways good luck and welcome to the sickness

In process: Belgian Wit
Primary:
Secondary: Berliner Wiesse
On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Old 07-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
bwitt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Good ole yeast farts!

The smell depends on what ingredients are in your brew and what yeast you used. I've had some fermentations that the smell would make you wretch and others that smelled wonderful.

Taste your hydrometer samples and if they taste good everything is ok.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

thanks, im just going to see it through. liquid temp is 70-71, kegerator temp 68-70

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Old 09-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Gavin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am brewing my first batch as well. It smells like sour eggs or something. For the first 10 hours of bubbling, it smelled like pale ale. Now I am not sure! I will just wait it out, since I can smell the hops still among the strange odor.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
I am brewing my first batch as well. It smells like sour eggs or something. For the first 10 hours of bubbling, it smelled like pale ale. Now I am not sure! I will just wait it out, since I can smell the hops still among the strange odor.
Then quit sniffing the fermenter...quit looking at the fermenter...everything is fine. Just walk away from it for a couple weeks, and all will be fine...

Fermentation is sometimes ugly, sometimes smelly, all sorts of waste products are being produced right now, that the yeast will eventually get rid of....

and 99.999% of the time it comes out okay...Especially a N00b's first batch.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

LOL! Is that a new one Revvy?
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinDave07 View Post
LOL! Is that a new one Revvy?

Bout a week old....I have one for hydrometer usage as well....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
twsax
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwitt View Post
Good ole yeast farts!

The smell depends on what ingredients are in your brew and what yeast you used.
Hi,

Do think you could tell me what kind of ingredients would make the fermentation process smell bad? Also what kind of yeast?

If the ingredients make it smell bad, and everything is made right, will the beer still taste good?

I'm going to start making Jasmine Tea Ale. The ingredients are: Jasmine Green Tea, 6 lbs Malt Extract (ditto), and 2 oz Crystal Hops. I might be using Wyest brand of Yeast.

Will these ingredients make the beer smell really foul when it is fermenting?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
PaulStat
Recipes 

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a similar smell from my starter I made yesterday, I used some yeast washed a month ago. Should I ditch the starter? It really does stink of sour milk.

Thanks,
Paul

Quick Reply