Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fermentation has not started

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
DonRikkles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Fermentation has not started

I brewed a SMASH on Saturday, and for a variety of reasons, I had a difficult time keeping a consistent 154 mash temp on my stove top. I forgot to take the grain off of the heat when I added it to the 170 degree water, and it made it up to 180 before I removed the pot. It took about 15 minutes to get the temperature to 152, but then had difficulty keeping it above 150, especially during the last 15 minutes of the hour. Everything else went as planned and I pitched the US-05 yeast.

It's three days later, and I have seen little to no active fermentation and it seemed to take an inordinate amount of time for the yeast to settle on the bottom. Did the temperature fluctuation thwart the release of the fermentable sugars? What else could have gone wrong? Should I dump the batch?

This was my first time using US-05 and I followed the directions on the package. Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
yeastluvr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I'm reading this correctly you got your grain and water up to 180 at the begining of your mash?? If so, that could play a role in your fermentable sugars.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
tuskenraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wait it out a few more days. What temp was the wort when you pitched the yeast? What is it now?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Take a reading with a hydrometer. If it's still the same time to consider repitching more yeast.

I've never mashed that high so I have no idea how much, or if any conversion happened at those temps.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 04-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

"Activity" is not a good indicator of fermentation, gravity is. Take a hydromter reading.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
DonRikkles
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I only mashed at 180 for about 3 minutes before I got it off the heat. The wort was at 70 when I pitched the yeast, and it's still around 70.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
Ma23456
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

At 180 the amyl ease enzymes would be killed

Quick Reply