The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Feeling a little stupid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
eujamfh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Feeling a little stupid

No sure where I got my wires crossed…but after about 10 batches…I just realized I have been dry hopping when I transfer to the fermentor!

I am currently working Pliny the Elder and rereading the directions see I was SUPPOSED to ferment and then dry hop. I have not idea why I did not realize this sooner, and all the posts I have read thus far are pretty much common sense - dry hopping is for aroma and introducing it as soon as I have been is…well, wasting lots of hops aroma.

To date the beer has been good, but I feel stupid I did not make that connection until now!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Most innovation and new techniques come from mistakes, don't feel stupid. Try new things, and enjoy the beer as you go, Cheers!

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Old 05-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
eujamfh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks - appreciate the boost…but still feeling silly since with all the reading I have done i should have caught a fundamental misstep in the process.

To date the brews have been fine…but pleasing my better half is key to this hobby and she is a hop head so getting that right is…well…key to survival and the continued support to my new found hobby!

Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
hops2it
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I did the very same thing on my first brew session this year. If we were pros, we'd be getting paid to do this. As it is...

Old 05-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
eujamfh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Actually…I miswrote. I have been dry hopping in primary for the past four batches. So I started out correct…but then entered a wrong step in the process.

Fortunately the "wrong" batches are super big and heavily hopped brews…so I am pretty sure they will still be good, but darn it that I essentially wasted a great deal of aroma.

Now all that said…the basement smelled incredibly good over the past few weeks!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
No1ukno
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

U can dry hop in primary. Just let it ferment out 2 to 3 weeks and then dry hop 5 to x amount of days then bottle or keg. Although I have read of a method where u start dry hop at peak krausen with amazing results so it was prob fine.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
opiate82
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm pretty novice at this, so take what I say with a grain of 2-row... but from what I understand if you try to dry hop while fermentation is still happening, the CO2 release will take some of the aroma away with it. Not the end of the world, you will still get the flavor characteristics and some aromas from your mis-timed dry hop (after all, it isn't much different than a zero-minute hop addition), it just won't turn out exactly as planned.

Who knows, maybe your methods end up producing the exact results you are hoping for. Only way to tell is by brewing another batch, doing a traditional dry hop and comparing the results between the two batches. That means you get more beer, always a good thing imo!

Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
No1ukno
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have never dry hoped at peak krausen personally but it is a method I have heard of and might give it a go one day for an experament of sorts. Maybe make a pale ale split it dry hop one towards end and the other at peak krausen. I don't know just a rook here myself but u can definatly use your primary vessel to dry hop if you want. I always rack to secondary because I need to free up vessel and to wash yeast its less stuff in the yeast.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Not stupid or "wrong"... lots of stuff that is done as "mistakes" still make a fantastic beer!

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I wouldn't worry about it. Think about the improvement you'll get with with basically no effort! Plus ten points to your hoppiness trait. Level up!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply