Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fast fermenting - to secondary yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

good question.

you'd want the least amount of trub in the beer if you plan to leave it in the primary for a spell...

as for the palmer quote. i've seen it to be true, more or less.

...recently bottled several batches that sat in the primary well over two months... both tasted fine at bottling, and hit the lowest fg i've ever seen...very clear too, for having no secondary.

i'm not saying to do this, but it hasn't killed me.

i've learned my batches are best after about four months of sitting around in bulk and in bottles.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
Steve973
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
IMHO, the risks of a premature racking (a stalled ferment, for example) are much greater than the risks of picking up any off flavors from the yeast.
I don't see how racking the beer would "stall" the fermentation. If you've done this and observed what appears to be a decrease in C02 production, this is only the *appearance* of that. When you transfer the beer and agitate it in the process, you're knocking C02 out of solution.. The bubbles are a result of going past the saturation point, so if you knock a lot of C02 out of solution, it takes some time for the level to build back up past the saturation point.

I don't see any harm in transferring the beer, if you want to get it off of flocculated yeast and hop particles, but make sure you take a gravity reading and give it plenty of time in the secondary.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:03 AM   #13
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I've heard good arguments on both sides. I like to rack to secondary after the initial, very active, fermentation and then give it awhile in secondary. But I've talked to experienced brewers, more so than myself, that don't even use a secondary.

I haven't done enough to be an authority in the subject but in my experience the risk of infection, after that intial fermentation, would be minor. Assuming proper sanitation and the fact that the alcohol content is high enough to inhibit most infections.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:09 AM   #14
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

FWIW, I have spoken to a lot of very experienced brewers as well, who don't secondary any beer styles, regardless of OG. But almost to a man, they primary in conicals, which allows them to remove the trub after the primary fermentation has finished. They then allow the beer to continue to condition off the trub, which is essentially the same thing as racking to a secondary, obviously without the risk of oxidation.

John

Old 08-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
Steve973
Recipes 

Yeah, wouldn't a conical be nice! Great way to grab a yeast starter, too!

Quick Reply