Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > False Bottom Sealing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
ArtVandalay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default False Bottom Sealing

I recently put together a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with false bottom for my mash tun. The instructions indicated that the internal barb connected to the bulkhead should be connected to the barb on the false bottom with tubing. Is it necessary to use clamps to make sure this tubing connection is sealed? Is the goal to have sealed connections throughout the system to form a siphon or is the sealing only necessary in regards to leaking outside the cooler?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandalay View Post
I recently put together a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with false bottom for my mash tun. The instructions indicated that the internal barb connected to the bulkhead should be connected to the barb on the false bottom with tubing. Is it necessary to use clamps to make sure this tubing connection is sealed? Is the goal to have sealed connections throughout the system to form a siphon or is the sealing only necessary in regards to leaking outside the cooler?
No, you don't need clamps. But make sure it stays put if you accidentally hit it with a mash paddle! I did that, and had to dump my mash out and reconnect everything. I didn't realize I did it until nothing at all would come out. Arggghhhhh!

I don't use clamps, and it would be a PITA to clean, but I have a longer piece of tubing (now) that is a bit more difficult to put on and take off. I never knocked it off again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply