Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > False bottom and recirculation = efficiency problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #11
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have the same issues and I just changed to batch sparging today and hit 9% higher on efficiency (79%) on the first try . Try that, I was amazed. I am sure my system wasn't right for continuous sparge

My Cellar http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Savorychef

Untappd: Savorychef

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
fauskie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I had similar issues.

I have a Pico style false bottom installed in keggle with diptube. It takes 2.5 gallons of liquid to reach the false bottom.

I also use a constant recirc. mash system and fly sparge.

Started off around 60% efficiency and changed the following to now achieve around 76-78%.

1) Crush grain myself to a bit finer than LHBS's
2) Thicken my mash to no greater than 1 qt/pound of grain. This lets me add about a gallon more to my sparge water volume. (I was at 1.5 qt/# ratio before changing to ~1 qt/#)

Say I have 10 pounds of grain for my recipe, my mash water will be 10 quarts of water, plus the 2.5 gallons it takes me to reach the false bottom. So Ill be recirculating a total of 5 gallons of "mash" water, but only 2.5 gallons of water is in contact with the grain.....

3) Sparge slllloooooooooowwwww, very slow! With the smaller volume of sparge water we are able to use, its helped me to sparge as slow as I possibly can. I heat my sparge water to about 172-174 to account for some heat loss in tubing/transfer. Prior to sparge I raise mash temp to 168 and hold for 10 mins.
My average sparge volume is 4 gallons and I try to stretch that 4 gallons over at least 25 mins. with the goal being 10 mins for each gallon of sparge water.

This has helped me reach and exceed my efficiency target the last 2 batches.

Also, take a look to make sure that you aren't over calculating how much wort loss your system "produces." Even a half gallon of wort left behind can dock you a few percentage points.

Hope this helps you somewhat!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I have a Pico style false bottom installed in keggle with diptube. It takes 2.5 gallons of liquid to reach the false bottom.
I have the same false bottom with a bottom drain. I already trimmed the supports a bit and now have 2 gallons bellow the FB. I will probably try and get that to 1 to 1.5. This seems to be more of an issue with a 5 Gal batch.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
fauskie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
I have the same false bottom with a bottom drain. I already trimmed the supports a bit and now have 2 gallons bellow the FB. I will probably try and get that to 1 to 1.5. This seems to be more of an issue with a 5 Gal batch.
Agree 100% with you on the 5 gal batch size being biggest contributor to efficiency woes (with our style false bottom).

Not enough liquid to go around with that large of a "dead" space in a 5 gal batch.

Just gotta get creative with ways to make it work with 5 gallon batches but it can be done.

What is your average efficiency?

I liked the idea I saw in an earlier post in this thread about submerging objects in the gap to help lower the volume of water needed to reach the false bottom. I just cant think of what would work well?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am getting 78 to 80 percent brewhouse efficiency and 83% mash efficiency. When I build this system I thought I could get up to 90% brewhouse, so I will keep working on it up to a point. This system is still fairly new with 6 batches through it. One place to look for me is my mill setting. When I implemented the new system I widened the gap on my mill because I didn't really know how it would react with constant recirculation. Once I get the FB set how I like it I will start tightening the gap until I have problems and then back off a bit. Hopefully I have everything set in a couple of months.

Quick Reply