*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > False bottom for my BK

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
Islandboy85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default False bottom for my BK

I'm gona get another false bottom for my BK. I have a Climax 14.75 false bottom for my MLT already. I like their 11.5 false bottom for the BK because it's cheap, but is it worth paying double the price for the 14.75 false bottom for a BK? I've been having trouble filtering out the hopps after the boil. I've used a scrubby, and tried angling my dip tube but still getting too much hopps into my fermenter. Would the 11.5 in false bottom be sufficient for what I'm after?

http://climaxhomebrew.com/index.php?...&products_id=8

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i'm going to be soldering in the morebeer 10" this weekend, based on friends' suggestions. so i think the 11.5 would be better

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Would the 11.5 be big enough for 10-12 gallon batches or just 5-6 gallons?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

For a FB to work well, it has to cover the full area of the base. If it doesn't, you will get solids creeping under the FB, thus defeating it's purpose.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy85 View Post
but still getting too much hopps into my fermenter.
I don't think it's a negative if some hops and trub end up in the fermenter. RDWHAHB.

A false bottom will never be 100% effective in straining out debris from the kettle. If the screen was tight enough to keep out all the crap it would get clogged in a hurry and then what do you do?

Try some of the other methods like a hop back or whirlpool. Or just live with hops and trub in the fermenter. Really it should not hurt the beer.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
For a FB to work well, it has to cover the full area of the base. If it doesn't, you will get solids creeping under the FB, thus defeating it's purpose.

-a.
With a keggle the FB is usually below the spigot and there is a tube that sucks the liquid out from under the FB. In those cases the FB is domed and does not cover the whole bottom of the pot.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I don't think it's a negative if some hops and trub end up in the fermenter. RDWHAHB.

A false bottom will never be 100% effective in straining out debris from the kettle. If the screen was tight enough to keep out all the crap it would get clogged in a hurry and then what do you do?

Try some of the other methods like a hop back or whirlpool. Or just live with hops and trub in the fermenter. Really it should not hurt the beer.
The 14.75 f.!. Fits my keggle perfectly. I figure the 11.5 f.b. Would fit into the bowl contour enough to seal down. I'll talk to our hydraulic shop at work today. I'll see if they'll build me a pickup tube that'll suck up from the side of the keggle rather than the center. Are you using a pump to whirlpool or just stirring? I don't have a pump...yet.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
maida7
Recipes 

I use a pump to whirlpool but you can do it just the same with a spoon. Stir it for a minute of two and then let it settle for 20-30 minutes. If your lucky, most of the break material will form a cone in the bottom. Carefully siphon or drain the clear wort from the side. Drain slowly so you do not disturb the cone. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I use a pump to whirlpool but you can do it just the same with a spoon. Stir it for a minute of two and then let it settle for 20-30 minutes. If your lucky, most of the break material will form a cone in the bottom. Carefully siphon or drain the clear wort from the side. Drain slowly so you do not disturb the cone. Good luck!
Do you use a short dip tube to pick up on the side of the keg? Pictures?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
maida7
Recipes 

I don't have a keg. I have a big stainless brew pot. It has a valve on the side near the bottom to drain. Attached to the valve I have a short piece of copper that pulls the liquid from the bottom at the side of the pot. Sorry I don't have any pics. but it looks kinda like this one

Quick Reply