Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Extra ingredients in rolled corn?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
caspio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Extra ingredients in rolled corn?

I've been wanting to make BM's cream ale, a mexican lager, and a CAP. My LHBS didn't carry flaked/rolled corn, so I picked up a bag and the local feed store. The question is: Other than the corn itself, there's two other ingredients listed. I'm not really sure what they are, if they're something I want in my beer, etc. The two extras are Propionic Acid (as a preservative) and Ammonium Hydroxide. my google-fu is failing me, so hopefully HBT can come to the rescue. Is this something normal, or are either of these ingredients something I don't want in my beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
ExpertBrewers
Recipes 

I doubt Ammonium Hydroxide is the greatest ingredient to have going into your beer. Feed grade fermentables are generally used in other applications, its not like your gonna run your beer through a still to clean it up, lol.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

propionic acid smells like cheese, ammonium hydroxide according to wikipedia is just a mixture of ammonia and water.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If I were you and couldn't get flaked maize from the homebrew store, I'd use grits from the grocery store, instead. Just cook them up in some boiling water for 15-20 minutes then add them to the mash.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 03-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4930 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkling View Post
If I were you and couldn't get flaked maize from the homebrew store, I'd use grits from the grocery store, instead. Just cook them up in some boiling water for 15-20 minutes then add them to the mash.
Yeah, me too. Feed corn isn't what the recipe author had in mind- it would have to be processed somehow to make the corn useful to the brew. I"m not sure what it would be, but if you've ever seen flaked corn, well, it's flaked. Like the cereal Corn Flakes, sort of. I wouldn't use kernel corn, but grits would work, or even the cereal I guess. Or, you could order flaked corn from an online store.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I wouldn't want to put animal feed-grade anything in my beer, especially if it has additional, sketchy-sounding ingredients. I'll second mkling's suggestion to use corn grits from the grocery store instead.

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Quick Reply