Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Extra 15 minutes of mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurt View Post
1. The recipe seems to assumes ~70% efficiency, which is pretty good, and only really achievable if you are continuously sparging. I personally prefer batch sparging, but have never gotten above 65% efficiency from a batch sparge.
Simply not true. Since the purchase of my Barley crusher I have consistently hit 80%+. Before I was at a steady 65 to 70%, both with a split batch sparge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Does everyone talk about mash efficiency or brewhouse?

I tend to calculate my efficiency from what I get into my fermenters, which I think would be my brewhouse. To get my mash efficiency I should take a pre-boil hydrometer sample and the amount of liquid in my boil pot right?

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is correct. You take those points from the reading and multiply by the gallons collected. You then divide that by the total possible points from your grain. (For your grain you multiply by the number of # you used.)

EX. You get at 1.046 @ 6 gallons. 46*6=276

Add your numbers up using the ppg for each grain. 11# 2-row at 1.036 11*36=396

You take 276/396=.69 or 69%

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #14
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts

Thanks! I'll have to do that to see what sort of mash efficiency I'm getting as that seems to be what everyone uses as their reference point (I was feeling bad about my 69% brewhouse efficiency on the last brew)

As for the original post. I have always found Austin HomeBrew Supply's crush to be just fine for me. You may have issues with hitting your mash temps. Also when you sparge try using water near 180 degrees to make the sugars more soluble.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

By the way, most brewing software will calculate it for you. Just check the box that says you took your reading from the brew pot.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Old 07-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #16
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on disagreeing with 70% being a good efficiency for batch sparging, I routinely get 80% eff.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #17
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts

I think the stirring may be your issue. I'm pretty new to AG myself and I just added 15 points to my brewhouse efficiency (70 to 85) by adding a mash out and stirring more throughly. I also used 5.2 stabilizer for the first time in this batch. That might have helped as well.

Just like you, I was stirring very gently toward the bottom of my cooler tun for fear of hooking and disconnecting my circular braid. What I do now is kind of scoop the more compacted grain with my long handle spoon from the bottom up to the top where I can stir it in.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Ryan View Post
I think the stirring may be your issue. I'm pretty new to AG myself and I just added 15 points to my brewhouse efficiency (70 to 85) by adding a mash out and stirring more throughly. I also used 5.2 stabilizer for the first time in this batch. That might have helped as well.

Just like you, I was stirring very gently toward the bottom of my cooler tun for fear of hooking and disconnecting my circular braid. What I do now is kind of scoop the more compacted grain with my long handle spoon from the bottom up to the top where I can stir it in.
I use 5.2PH Stabalizer and do a 2 hour mash. I routinely hit over 90%. This was even with my LHBS crushed grains. The process is detailed in my signature.

A 2 hour mash works for me, but I might be scaling back now that I have a Barley Crusher. It's a lot longer than most people go, but it ensures you get the most out of your grain.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #19
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Ryan View Post

You know, I have this nagging suspicion that you might be right. And if you are, then I would feel at the same time embarrassed and relieved. Right now, I have a circular braid setup, with the S.S. braid looping to a brass T fitting. Problem is, though, that the T simply sleeves around the short length of vinyl tubing going to the barb. This can be simply pulled off, which I do to clean it. But this makes me sheepish when stirring the bottom.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't try just pulling it off, reworking it into a straight braid that I can hose clamp down, and put a length of perforated vinyl tube inside the braid for rigidity. Perhaps if I feel more confident when stirring, I'll get more into suspension.

After I check the thermometers and the hydrometer, I'll give that a shot. Then... I might give that 5.2 Stabilizer a go.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsloan View Post

I'm wondering if I shouldn't try just pulling it off, reworking it into a straight braid that I can hose clamp down, and put a length of perforated vinyl tube inside the braid for rigidity. Perhaps if I feel more confident when stirring, I'll get more into suspension.
A stainless braid can take a bit of abuse. Don't worry about hitting it a few times. I don't reinforce mine with vinyl. It seems fine after 4 AG batches.

Quick Reply