Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Extended mash times

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Mashing for longer will give you a more fermentable wort as the amylases continue to work on the already converted sugars in the mash, breaking them down into smaller and more easily fermentable sugars.
this^^^^

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
billl
Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"this isn't an issue of efficiency- 90% of homebrewers are getting full conversion, and most of those in teh first 20m of the mash. Mashing for longer will give you a more fermentable wort as the amylases continue to work on the already converted sugars in the mash, breaking them down into smaller and more easily fermentable sugars."

This is most definitely NOT true. 90% of homebrewers who mill their own grain might be getting full conversion in 60 minutes. Everyone who is relying on the big online shops or LHBS? Tossup. At 20 minutes with an average LHBS mill? Not likely. I've tested several shops and was around 70% at 20 minutes and 150 degrees. Conversion time and efficiency are incredibly dependant on the quality of the crush.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
"this isn't an issue of efficiency- 90% of homebrewers are getting full conversion, and most of those in teh first 20m of the mash. Mashing for longer will give you a more fermentable wort as the amylases continue to work on the already converted sugars in the mash, breaking them down into smaller and more easily fermentable sugars."

This is most definitely NOT true. 90% of homebrewers who mill their own grain might be getting full conversion in 60 minutes. Everyone who is relying on the big online shops or LHBS? Tossup. At 20 minutes with an average LHBS mill? Not likely. I've tested several shops and was around 70% at 20 minutes and 150 degrees. Conversion time and efficiency are incredibly dependant on the quality of the crush.
I've never owned a mill and buy from multiple shops and online retailers- I've tested for conversion frequently and have always been totally converted at the 20m mark. Lower mash temps are an exception, but at the 152-160 range, conversion happens quickly if you've thoroughly stirred up your mash.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
billl
Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 7

How are you testing for conversion? Iodine? What formula are you using to show you are at 100% conversion?

And big picture, how do you explain the tons and tons of posters who report a significant jump in efficiency when they improve their crush? If they were already getting 100% conversion from the LHBS crush, they should see zero increase, right?

Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #15
JBeuchs
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
This isn't an issue of efficiency- 90% of homebrewers are getting full conversion, and most of those in teh first 20m of the mash. Mashing for longer will give you a more fermentable wort as the amylases continue to work on the already converted sugars in the mash, breaking them down into smaller and more easily fermentable sugars.
So I assume you're an advocate of longer mash times. Are you typically mashing for 90 minutes, then?

Old 03-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeuchs View Post
So I assume you're an advocate of longer mash times. Are you typically mashing for 90 minutes, then?
I personally am, in the event that you want a very very fermentable wort. My best results have been at ~153F for 90-120 minutes for super super dry beers, but only when that's what I'm going for.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I started doing a 90 minute mash when I started mashing at < 150F. I found that I was not getting complete conversion at 60 minutes (via an iodine test).
Nowadays, I always mash for 90 minutes as it takes me nearly that long to heat my sparge water.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply