Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Explain why I can get decent efficiency with decoction mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
erock2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Explain why I can get decent efficiency with decoction mashing

Hey folks. I'm doing a double decoction for an Altbier right now, and I started to wonder how efficiency can be reasonably good. My thoughts: I'm boiling a decent portion of the grain and thereby denaturing the enzymes. About a third of the mash isn't there for most of the saccharification rest, so it seems like my efficiency should be pretty low. Is there a light-speed saccharification that takes place as the decoction is heated to boiling?

- E

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

This is a pretty simple explanation:

http://realbeer.com/spencer/FAQ/decoction.html

Remember, there are lots of enzymes in highly modified malt, and they work fairly quickly.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:15 AM   #3
DonutBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

During mash in and/or your protein rest (in any case before you pull the first decoction) the majority of the enzymes have gone into solution, i.e. they're in the thin part of the mash. When you pull the thick part of the mash for the first boil, you'll of course bring some amylase enzymes into the the boil kettle, which will be denatured when you boil, but not to worry, the workhorse amylase is still in the mash tun safely waiting to be brought up to working temperature.

When I have done decoctions, during the boils before saccharification (in my case, the first boil), I follow Kaiser's instructions and do a mini-saccharification rest in the decoction kettle, just to make sure that during saccharification of the main mash there is the appropriate amount of enzyme to starch.

Point being, the enzymes in solution in the mash tun don't get boiled, so they're still able to catalyze their reactions, and truth be told, they are probably sufficient, given time, to convert all of the starch in the mash without the mini-saccharification rest.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've tested my single infusion mash at 30 minutes before and showed full conversion of Briess 2-row. Like Yuri says, in most of today's modern malts, there's way more enzymatic activity right out the gate than what our forefather brewers experienced.

I typically never mash more than 45 minutes before I vorlauf and start the batch sparge.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply