Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > explain to me: mashing temps!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
red96jeep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default explain to me: mashing temps!

so i feel as though i should start this off with the statement that i am not an all grain brewer, but i am looking to become one. i'm in the process of gathering as much info about brewing as i can so as to make good beer when the time comes. that being said, i have a question. i would like to know about mashing, i have gotten a feel that a common temp for mashing is around 150 F, but why? i've read the wiki page about mashing and i realize that beta amylse is produced best around 140-150 F, and alpha amylase is produced best at 162-167F. i guess what i'm trying to ask here is if both of these sugars are important why is it common to mash at a temp where it only extracts one of them? would it not be best to extract them both? and how would you do that? fill in the newb here______

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

closer to 150 = drier beer, lower FG.

closerto 158, higher FG more full feeling beer. sweeter also. because a lot of the sugars extract are unfermetntable

I don't know specifics that's just a rule of thumb I try to remember

Old 10-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Actually, most beers are mashed at a temperature that falls between those ranges -- usually 150-158. This allows both enzymes to be active but in different proportions. The lower part of that range produces more fermentable sugars, the high part more non-fermentable (body) sugars. For different beers you want either a light body so you'd mash on the low end 150-152, whereas others you want a heavier bodied beer, so you would mash higher. It's slightly more complicated because you also have to consider how high gravity of a beer you are brewing, but for now, that may get you close enough.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 10-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Fundamental mis-understanding. They are not sugars. They are the chemicals that breakdown the starches in malt into sugars. Too cold and they work slowly, too hot and they die. 150F lets them both work.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14.html

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Mash temperatures on the lower end seem so popular because that is the current trend. At least in the U.S. (and mostly on the west coast), folks are brewing these very dry beers that emphasize hops.

I highly recommend reading New Brewing Lager Beer by (the very recently deceased) Gary Noonan, as well as Dornbusch's Bavarian Lager and Richman's Bock for great information about mashing and mash temperatures. While all deal with lagers, the mashing information applies to any all-grain brewing. Noonan is especially good (but also a good bit technical).

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Greg Noonan...and I know you knew that.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
bierbrauer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

pick up a couple of homebrew books. David Millers Guide is great and Randy Moshers radical brewing also has great info and diagrams about mash temps. I wouldn't get into all grain before reading several books on the subject as there are a lot of factors that don't come into play in extract and partial mash brews.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
cee3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
...(the very recently deceased) (Greg) Noonan...

TL
Could this be true?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee3 View Post
Could this be true?
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...on-Noonan-dies

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 10-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
cyclingpole
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierbrauer View Post
pick up a couple of homebrew books. David Millers Guide is great and Randy Moshers radical brewing also has great info and diagrams about mash temps. I wouldn't get into all grain before reading several books on the subject as there are a lot of factors that don't come into play in extract and partial mash brews.
If I could just chime in regarding Dave's book... as a new (all grain) homebrewer I found that Dave Miller's book was the most valuable to me. I think mainly because all the other books concentrate too much on extract brewing in the simplest form while I was looking for something with a bit more depth and slightly more advanced.

This is not to say the other books are were no good, they're all excellent resources but for extract brewing.

Quick Reply