Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > expensive ag ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #81
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerBang

I call bull**** on $11. Itemize please? 47 is nuts, but so is 11.
I could swing that.
10 lbs 2-row
.7 x 10 = $7.00
.5 lb c60
.75 x 1 = $.75
.5 ounce Apollo (bittering)
.35 x 1 = .35
2 oz cascade (aroma and flavor)
2 x .62 = 1.25
Washed yeast or yeast from the brewery = free

$9.35
80% efficiency gives me 1.055
$35 a sack for 2-row
$10 a lb for hops through Niko

18¢ a beer, it can be done. Shoot, I could even splurge on hops and make it an IPA and keep it under 11 bucks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #82
Bradinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Interesting read. At my LHBS they sell base grain at $1-1.50 CDN/lbs and sell 55lbs bulk bags for $50. Specialty grain goes for $2-4 lbs depending. Hops are pricey at $2.50/oz. Dry yeast is $3-6.

In the past I went straight to the grain supplier (CMC) and was able to pick up the same 55lbs bulk bag for $25... But its a 4 hour commute and they do not deliver, which means I need to take a half day off work which is not ideal.

I searched online to find cheaper prices then the LHBS and have yet to locate any.

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #83
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I pay 2.15 an ounce of hops and still make a batch for 14-18$ on average. Bulk grain, washed yeast, etc. 11$ I could make happen if i got a cheaper bag of 2-row for sure.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #84
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

So far I have tried Northern Brewers, Morebeer and homebrew heaven and found not much difference in the price compared to the 47 I paid in town.

any suggestions on where to buy ingredients cheap ? How ever I did not try to buy large quantities of specialty grains only 1 pound or more than 1 ounce hops so that may make a difference . The price on 2 row at 50 pounds was much better than in store

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #85
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Maybe it's just me, but when I have to buy specialty grains, I deliberately buy at least twice as much as I need for the recipe I'm working on. I figure I'm at the store already anyway, and if I like the beer I may want to make it again, or I'll likely use it in another beer at some point and I don't want to have to wait to order it online or make another trip to the LHBS, and it's only a couple bucks anyway ... so I just buy a couple pounds' worth.

Granted, I have my own grain mill at home, so the grain might not get used for a few months, but still, I figure for the extra couple of bucks, it might come in handy down the road.

Anyone else do this too?
I've been doing AG for years and don't have a mill. I don't really have a choice, being an apartment brewer. Space is at a premium, and I already use too much space for all the equipment.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #86
sketerbuck
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I posted the prices here in another post .

Is your online store not up and running ? I tried the link on your page and got error page not found http://shop.thebrewshop.biz/

A note on my town and anything good for sale . Wichita is the largest city in Ks but seems to have very little in the way of shopping for things . I buy very little in stores . Most shopping done on line .Lots of things are too pricey here . we have only one LHBS and it is very small . Heck I drive a truck . there is NO real truck stop in the Wichita or surrounding areas. Amazing that we have so little in a big city , well big for Kansas .
I will be ordering my grains online from now on.
I'm still working on the online store.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #87
Mojzis
Recipes 

Brewmasterswarehouse. Flate rate shipping, good pricing and semi bulk hops. Fast shipping and friendly too. My new hbs.

For bulk malt you just need to get in on a buy or ask around. I got my corona mill for 20$ and i get great efficiency with no issues sparging. I'm also an apartment dweller and a mill is the lowest space consumer. The 55 lbs of grain however sits in a container under the bed.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #88
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I was just at one of my LHBS, morebeer, and they have 55lb US 2 row sacks for 35 and marris otter for 62. Not too bad of a deal... might have to go for it. They also said if you buy a pallet (obviously a group buy) then it's even cheaper.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #89
Mojzis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post
I was just at one of my LHBS, morebeer, and they have 55lb US 2 row sacks for 35 and marris otter for 62. Not too bad of a deal... might have to go for it. They also said if you buy a pallet (obviously a group buy) then it's even cheaper.
can't really beat 35$

Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #90
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I brewed a similar beer Saturday. My bill was about the same as yours, but I also got a bucket (you can never have too many) and a good sized bottle of sanitizer.

I've thought about buying bulk grain, and grinding it myself, but with the cost of a grinder, the time in grinding it and the cost of safely storing it at home (away from pests, etc.) I find it simpler to simply go to the LHBS and let them do it. They pay all those costs and simply pass them on to me for my share in the prices. I hand the clerk my list and then look at all the toys until she brings me my grains, ground and ready to brew. I wouldn't save enough to make it worth the trouble.

Quick Reply