Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > expensive ag ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #31
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

My 'normal' batches (6.75-7.25 gallons into primary) run in the $20-$30 range. Depends on which base malt I use more than anything (Pale Ale is less per pound that Maris Otter). I see the cost savings as a benefit of all grain brewing, on top of the product control. I always use liquid yeast (Wyeast most of the time) but buy my hops at a better per pound rate. I'm looking at freezing yeast, for use later, too. IF it works as well as I hope, I might only buy a few packs a year (to get the strain) and then just use reserved/frozen yeast for the rest.

There are ways to trim costs on batches, you just need to figure out what makes sense for you. BUT, you shouldn't pay too much for your grains.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredstein View Post
Yes, it is on my list of future improvements... Ideally I would like to grow and harvest my own hops :-)
Do that for 10 years and you'll be happy to go back to paying for them. I was.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #33
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2700 Times on 2091 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

Really? It only took me 2 I grow Centennial now, that's it.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #34
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 51

$47 for 12 pounds of grain and a few ounces of hops is way too much and I have no idea why that would have been so much (unless you ordered online and had to pay a bunch in shipping). Boiling for over 60min doesn't really impact hop utilization at all.

There are always kinks to work out in your venturing into new territory so I wouldn't worry too much about that part...

(has this person even responded to any of the comments?)

Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #35
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 30

OP never came back... I think you've all been trolled.

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Originally Posted by bredstein

Yes, it is on my list of future improvements... Ideally I would like to grow and harvest my own hops :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post

Haha yes, when I can buy a pound of CTZ for around 10 bucks shipped how can I grow hops? The labor involved in growing and drying and packaging a pound of hops is substantial! Only makes sense if it's a labor of love IMHO!

Back on topic...buying malt and hops in bulk and reusing yeast the cost of the beer is nearly "too cheap to meter". 2-3 bucks a gallon for a basic 5% pale ale I'd guess. When I go out, pints are $4 - $7 dollars, so for me the beer at home is almost free.

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Old 11-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #37
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
You got totally raped on that one man.. For 47 dollars I could brew a 10 gallon batch of barleywine. Try Brewmasters Warehouse if you don't have a LHBS, the prices are good, AFAIK he still does flat shipping unlike some of the others are doing now, and his crush is great so you shouldn't have to over sparge to get fair efficiency.
Plus you can have ounces or even half ounces of grains in your grain bill, you don't need to buy entire pounds of specialty malts

Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 768 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
Plus you can have ounces or even half ounces of grains in your grain bill, you don't need to buy entire pounds of specialty malts
Maybe it's just me, but when I have to buy specialty grains, I deliberately buy at least twice as much as I need for the recipe I'm working on. I figure I'm at the store already anyway, and if I like the beer I may want to make it again, or I'll likely use it in another beer at some point and I don't want to have to wait to order it online or make another trip to the LHBS, and it's only a couple bucks anyway ... so I just buy a couple pounds' worth.

Granted, I have my own grain mill at home, so the grain might not get used for a few months, but still, I figure for the extra couple of bucks, it might come in handy down the road.

Anyone else do this too?

Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #39
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Depending on where I'm getting the non-base malt from I typically get at least a few pounds. I then seal it up either via a ziplock bag, or vacuum pack it (in 8-16oz bags) for use later. I'll weigh out what I need for the recipe I'll be brewing and make sure to order/get more before I run out (completely).

Having your own grain mill/crusher makes things vastly easier on brew day. Have a good scale and you no longer need to worry about the store weighing the grain wrong.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #40
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

WOW! Holy effing crap . I been taken for a wild ride . I bought the grain at my local brew store . 7.50 for 5 pounds of 2 row and 2.50 a pound for the others , so there is 25 bucks for thew grain and I still have some left over but ... forgot what the hops and yeast cost but I guess about 16 bucks since all I also bought was a 2.30 bottle of wyeast yeast energizer. guess I better check prices online next time .

hey one more thing . I made a wort chiller out of soft copper . I forgot to wash that thing off before putting it in my wort . I put it in while still boiling to sanitize it but I am wondering if any bad tastes or chemicals may come from the unwashed off copper ?

Quick Reply