The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Excessive tannins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_striker View Post
I guess I'm still confused as to why I'm extracting excessive tannins when sparging with RO water.

I thought RO water had no buffering capacity which means my mash bed pH should not rise. Or am I all wet here?
you're correct. Sparging with RO water should not raise the pH above 6.

What is the source of your RO water? I wonder if you can check with a TDS meter and make sure the RO water's membrane/process is working.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
d_striker
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
you're correct. Sparging with RO water should not raise the pH above 6.

What is the source of your RO water? I wonder if you can check with a TDS meter and make sure the RO water's membrane/process is working.
I have a small 5 stage portable filter from purewaterclub.com.

The water is run through a series of carbon filters, RO filter, and DI filter. I don't have a TDS meter but I see where you're going.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
d_striker
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I just found this on a fish tank forum regarding these filters:

"One other thing you will want to do to help the unit be more efficient is to turn the DI canister (the clear one) vertically so that the water doesn't "channel" through the DI resin. You want the water to come in the bottom, exit out the top. Any other setup and it tends to channel and you will see elevated TDS readings from the output water because the DI resin isn't doing its job."

I have the DI filter oriented vertically but I'm not sure if the exit is on top...I'll have to check later.

Quick Reply