Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Excessive tannins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
d_striker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Excessive tannins

I've been brewing for a few years now. I've always batch sparged in the past and recently switched over to fly sparging as i finished building my vertical brew stand. My firt two batches on my new system have come out VERY astringent and more chill hazed than usual.

My crush is good and efficiency is where it should be (75-78%). I brew with RO water with salts added to the mash, sparge with RO, and add the remaining salts to the brew kettle.

I currently don't have a way to verify ph but I think I'm over sparging some way or another. My sparge rate is approximately 1.5 qt/minute with 168 degree water.

Shouldn't my RO fly sparge maintain a low enough ph to not extract tannins and phenols or should I try to dissolve the remaining salts to my sparge water to lower ph?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

One thing to check is your final runnings - supposedly below 1.008 (I think, from Palmer) you can get tannin extraction.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
d_striker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
One thing to check is your final runnings - supposedly below 1.008 (I think, from Palmer) you can get tannin extraction.
Isn't that because by that point of the sparge the mash ph has risen?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could try treating your sparge water with phosphoric or lactic acid to drop the pH. Also, on the back end you could try adding gelatin. It's supposed to help remove some tannins.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
d_striker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
You could try treating your sparge water with phosphoric or lactic acid to drop the pH. Also, on the back end you could try adding gelatin. It's supposed to help remove some tannins.
Is there any harm in lowering my sparge water ph and then adding the other portion of my salts to the kettle (which would lower the ph even more)? In other words, is there any harm to the finished product with having my collected wort ph extremely low once I have collected it all in the boil kettle?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I bought a digital pH meter similar to this one on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-in-1-Water...7e7f1a&vxp=mtr) because I suspected a problem with my water. This morning as I was brewing I collected a sample of wort just after doughing in and found a pH of 6.4. I had plenty of time to stir in some acid blend which a second sample revealed that it had brought the pH down to 5.2. For that much money I felt like I had made a good investment. It comes with calibration acids and I did verify calibration before I sampled since it had been over 4 months since using it and the calibration was right on.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_striker View Post
Is there any harm in lowering my sparge water ph and then adding the other portion of my salts to the kettle (which would lower the ph even more)? In other words, is there any harm to the finished product with having my collected wort ph extremely low once I have collected it all in the boil kettle?
The salts being added to the kettle won't lower the pH. The only reason they do that in the mash is because they react with the malt to create acid, dropping the pH.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Polyclar will also work to remove tannins from your brew at the back end. Add a few days before bottling/kegging and it will make a difference.

bosco

Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
d_striker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
Polyclar will also work to remove tannins from your brew at the back end. Add a few days before bottling/kegging and it will make a difference.

bosco
I tried that on the last batch. I chilled to 28 degrees and added Polyclar. Helped a little with the haze but still tastes very astringent.

I would prefer to fix the problem upstream.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
d_striker
Recipes 

I guess I'm still confused as to why I'm extracting excessive tannins when sparging with RO water.

I thought RO water had no buffering capacity which means my mash bed pH should not rise. Or am I all wet here?

Quick Reply