Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Exceptionally clear liquor into FV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
BOBTHEukBREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Exceptionally clear liquor into FV

I brewed 11 gallons of dark bitter today using the same techniques as usual but with more crystal and some chocolate malt. At the end of the boil I removed the hops, cooled to 20 deg C and transferred to carboy. I have never seen such clear bright liquor at this stage. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you normally brew dark beers? Dark beers can hide haze. Are you sure it's definitely clearer?

Assuming its a real thing, dark beers also result in a lower pH of the wort. I think I recall that lower pH results in better hot break. But I'm a little unsure if I'm remembering that correctly. Maybe someone else can confirm that?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I am certain it is much clearer. I view the liquor in the syphon tube and it is clearer than a typical light bitter. I lower pH by adding CRS (carbonate reducing solution).

Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungrad
Do you normally brew dark beers? Dark beers can hide haze. Are you sure it's definitely clearer?

Assuming its a real thing, dark beers also result in a lower pH of the wort. I think I recall that lower pH results in better hot break. But I'm a little unsure if I'm remembering that correctly. Maybe someone else can confirm that?
+1. A lower pH will also inspire more interaction between proteins and polyphenols, causing both to drop out of solution. You are probably seeing more of that than usual thanks to the darker grains.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply