Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ever -totally- missed your OG with ok results?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Toppers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ever -totally- missed your OG with ok results?

I bought the winter warmer PM kit from Austin Homebrew Supply (great kit/ingredients btw). Was really psyched about this one but something went horribly wrong

OG suggested 1.072. Mine? 1.054. Fantastic.

I followed the directions to the T -except- I decided to do late extract addition. Adding 8 lbs. extra pale liquid extract at the end of the boil definitely slowed things down, and possible interfered with my last two hop additions. It took forever to get the boil going again and I don't think the 15 or 5 minute hops really boiled in at all.

When the wort was cooled, I didn't see any protein break and there was so much hop leafs floating around I could hardly siphon it up. No trub just a big mess of wort floating around.

As far as the mash goes, grain bag + stainless steel pot in the oven at 150 (mash 153) for 45 minutes...as per instructions. Proceeded to trickle 175f water over a strainer @ 1 quart per 2 lbs. grain afterwards. I probably should have gone an hour on the mash.

Bad, bad and bad. That sucked.

Is there a chance this will be drinkable?

Last edited by Toppers; 11-06-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My first attempt at a partial mash went much like your attempt here. The predicted OG was 1.075, but I only hit 1.064. My efficiency was a measly 42.5%! Still, the beer came out great, and has been praised by friends. I think you'll be just fine. It's usually no big deal if your original goal was a moderately big beer, since you're still within a decent beer range at 1.054. If you'd hit, say, 1.030 instead of a 1.050 target, your beer would probably be pretty weak and boring. I'd say RDWHAHB.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 11-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Toppers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Torchiest I'm definitely gonna ride it out (I drink ANYTHING) but what do you think about 1" of hop leaves at the bottom of the boil kettle, doesn't that sound like something went really wrong?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There have been a few times where I have been almost 10 points off; one was my first crack at a wit, loads of unconverted starch and the other was well I think a combination of poor crush, too fast on the fly sparge and the fact I was teaching someone got me distracted. The wit turned out well and I was able to correct the recipe next time, but the other one, a beer I have brewed many times, did not turn out right. It was watery and thin and had an odd flavor.

I'd say it will probably be a toss up. The good thing is you don't have a predisposition on what the flavor should be which is in your favor because if it tastes good, no worries. If you brew a recipe several times you know right away when something is off. It's a thing of memory.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I just uploaded my India Brown Ale recipe, I missed my OG by 20 points, but it came out fantastic, it wouldn't have been nearly as good if it came out as planned.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 11-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
darkstar79
Recipes 

I just brewed the same and only hit 1.070. It seems like I can never get the OG to be exact to what the instructions say. some times a few points under, a couple times a few points over. It always ends up good in the end though

On tap: Wet Hop IPA and Farmhouse Ale
Primary 1: Pumpkin Ale

Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I think it'll absolutely be drinkable and I wouldn't worry about the hops at all. I've been doing partial mashes for a long time now and that's standard for every one of my brews. I don't siphon. I chill until I get down well below 80 degrees and then I literally take my boil kettle and pour everything though a strainer, through a large funnel and into the carboy to get all of my hops out. You want to oxygenate prior to pitching your yeast anyway so I don't care about areation during dumping into the carboy... as a matter of fact, I hit it with an oxygen stone and O2 tank once it's all in the carboy.

My GUESS on missing the OG was simply the efficiencly of your mashing process (mostly) which I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over... it'll get better... and then the boil. When you're boiling, you're boiling off water and your wort is getting more and more concentrated (higher and higher OG) so the fact that you stalled boiling for what sounds like a while when you did your late addition, I'm guessing you didn't get that "concentrating" effect.

I think the beer will be great though... it just won't have as much alcohol in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
gabeweisz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How much wort did you have after boiling? I would think that with 8 lbs extract it would be really hard for the gravity to really be low - it looks like you should be able to get 1.054 from that much extract without any grains at all in 5 gallons.

Are you sure you had a really good hydrometer sample?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
mccarthy
Recipes 

my first AG our OG was supposed to be 1.058 and we were aroun 1.04ish but the beer tasted fine, much better than expected on our first AG.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeweisz View Post
How much wort did you have after boiling? I would think that with 8 lbs extract it would be really hard for the gravity to really be low - it looks like you should be able to get 1.054 from that much extract without any grains at all in 5 gallons.

Are you sure you had a really good hydrometer sample?
THat's a much better way of getting at what I was trying to get at....

I was thinking you might have had over 5 gallons and didn't boil down to 5 to "concentrate" the sugars up to your target OG... or maybe you were at 5 and didn't have enough sugars somehow (through the mashing process) to hit and boiling more off would have gotten you there, albeit with a small end gallons.

... When I do my partial mashes, I always end up with 3.5 - 4 gallons of concentrated wort, get it into my carboy and then simply add filtered water to top off until I hit my OG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Quick Reply