Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Evaporating wort down to the right volume...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Evaporating wort down to the right volume...

Alright, the stout that I brewed yesterday morning was my 3rd AG batch. 78% efficiency, not too bad. My question is this:

I batch sparge, and so what am I supposed to do when, like yesterday, my second (sparge) runnings are still @ 1.030? I mean, mashed with 6 gallons, then sparged with 3, then sparged again with another 1 after I saw how high my runnings OG was. So 10 gallons there. You lose some to the grains, yeah, but I still ended up having to boil two separate kettles (my biggest kettle is 8 gals) and combining them at the end. I also ended up having to do like a 90-minute boil in order to evaporate enough water to end up with 5 gals in the primary.

So, outside of the seemingly wasteful tactic of 90-minute+ boils, or fly sparging, what else is there to do when it comes to high-grav AG homebrewing? Or should I just plan on pre-boiling the wort, sans-hops, before I even start the boil timer?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Doing a boil-down is just part of high-gravity all grain. 90 minutes isn't unreasonable and the hop utilization difference is small.

The other alternative is making a small beer out of the extra runnings.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Doing a boil-down is just part of high-gravity all grain. 90 minutes isn't unreasonable and the hop utilization difference is small.

The other alternative is making a small beer out of the extra runnings.
Cool...yeah, I just wasn't sure if this was standard operating procedure, as my previous two AG's weren't that high-grav. I don't have a problem with it, just wasn't sure...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

You should feel lucky, I'm averaging about two hour boils. I don't add my hops in until the last hour though. The rivets on my brew pot are a pretty good indicator of when to start the timer for the last hour. I wouldn't worry if your gravity of the runnings is a little high on your last sparge, it just means your wasting a little sugar and you probably could have gotten your efficiency a little higher.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83
You should feel lucky, I'm averaging about two hour boils. I don't add my hops in until the last hour though. The rivets on my brew pot are a pretty good indicator of when to start the timer for the last hour. I wouldn't worry if your gravity of the runnings is a little high on your last sparge, it just means your wasting a little sugar and you probably could have gotten your efficiency a little higher.
Yeah...I know, I could have forgone that last gallon of sparging, but I really wanted to scrounge those sugars. I always hate wasting them. I spent alot of time and energy getting them to that point, and I like to get as much as I can. I guess someday I'll have to giddyap on the whole fly sparge bandwagon.

Yeah, I think mine was prolly closer to 2 hours too, I just stopped the timer and let the boil go, then restarted it. So who knows. I just estimated...and I scratched a line in my kettle so I knew when I'd get to 5 gals.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply