Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Evaluate this crush please

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ohiobrewtus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,814
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Evaluate this crush please



This was the first crush with my Barley Crusher at factory settings. I ended up with 68% efficiency on this batch and 63% on the next batch. I previously was in the 74%-78% range with AHS's crush. This appeared to be too fine to me and I wanted to get the thoughts of some other AG/BC users as I was certainly expecting an increase in efficiency with my BC, not a decrease.

Thanks!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Well, if you *love* it.... again, note that my A.S.S. has five pounds.
ohiobrewtus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Southwest
Posts: 13,897
Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

Without running my hand through it, it's hard to tell. If you spill some onto a dark piece of paper, it'd be easier. It appears to be a nice, even crush. I don't see any flour, though. I like to crush mine to the point where I can just see a little flour. Like Bobby says, crush till it hurts!

__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc
Yuri_Rage is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,643
Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Well, it looks like a finer crush than I get, but not excessively so.
I've never heard of a finer crush resulting in reduced efficiency, unless it results in a stuck sparge. I don't think the grain crush is responsible for your efficiency decrease.

-a.

__________________
ajf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 21,831
Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Looks good to me!

__________________
BrewHardware.com
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
Bobby_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 AM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

The pic is hard to tell exactly...but I'd say it looks fine. I crush really fine though--I get lots of flour. My efficiency is always 86% batch sparging.

Batch sparge or fly sparge?

With only 60s-70s%, you need to start checking some other things too though.

__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shafferpilot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 1,639
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

If there are any whole kernals at all, you could crush it finer. But I agree that it doesn't look that bad at all. Certainly not enough to warrant that big of a drop in efficiency. Are you weighing out your own grain now? Every "1 pound" bad of grain that I've recieved is a little over. That would have artificially inflated your efficiency on past brews. Has anything else about your brewing changed?

__________________

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

shafferpilot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
xamers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Omaha to Japan
Posts: 165
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

The crush look good from here too.

Efficiency issues may also result from inadequate Calcium in the brew water (are you using RO?), and pH (some 5.2 stabilizer may help).......

I'd say crush more, and crush more again. Crush more until you get a stuck sparge......then back it off

__________________
xamers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 AM   #8
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ohiobrewtus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,814
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
Well, it looks like a finer crush than I get, but not excessively so.
I've never heard of a finer crush resulting in reduced efficiency, unless it results in a stuck sparge. I don't think the grain crush is responsible for your efficiency decrease.

-a.
I wouldn't think so either, but I went from consistantly being in the mid to high 70's (sometimes in the 80's) to the 60's using the BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
The pic is hard to tell exactly...but I'd say it looks fine. I crush really fine though--I get lots of flour. My efficiency is always 86% batch sparging.

Batch sparge or fly sparge?

With only 60s-70s%, you need to start checking some other things too though.
I batch sparge. Nothing in my process has changed, equipment remains the same. BC/weighing out my own grain is the only variable that I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot View Post
If there are any whole kernals at all, you could crush it finer. But I agree that it doesn't look that bad at all. Certainly not enough to warrant that big of a drop in efficiency. Are you weighing out your own grain now? Every "1 pound" bad of grain that I've recieved is a little over. That would have artificially inflated your efficiency on past brews. Has anything else about your brewing changed?
Yes, I'm weighing out my own grain. Nothing else has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamers View Post
The crush look good from here too.

Efficiency issues may also result from inadequate Calcium in the brew water (are you using RO?), and pH (some 5.2 stabilizer may help).......

I'd say crush more, and crush more again. Crush more until you get a stuck sparge......then back it off
I'm not using RO water and never have. Nor have I ever used pH stabilizer..

I guess I'll see how my porter ends up this weekend and report back...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Well, if you *love* it.... again, note that my A.S.S. has five pounds.
ohiobrewtus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,466
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Your crush looks fine to me as well. I agree with everyone else, adjust it down until you're scared! Then adjust it a little more.

I reran some LHBS grain through my brand new barleycrusher just because I wanted to use my new toy, and I got a slightly stuck sparge. I blame that on doing a double decoction though, since it got all gooey and runny.

__________________

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

EvilTOJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
mr x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mainly Halifax
Posts: 1,589
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I don't see any flour in there. Looks a bit coarse to me. Also, are you sure your scale is right?

__________________

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

mr x is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corona Mill Users - Evaluate my Crush Please RighteousFire All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 33 05-06-2010 04:19 AM
to crush or not to crush... dark grain dan_the_frog Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-16-2009 07:24 PM
Black Patent: To Crush or Not To Crush imaguitargod General Techniques 9 07-03-2009 09:28 PM
please evaluate my crush chefmike All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 03-28-2009 02:25 PM
Evaluate my crush Khirsah17 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 01-16-2008 03:21 AM