Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > ESB FG seems too low

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
B_Lines
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

you scared me for a second there haha. I was like i thought that was actually a little on the low side. Temp reading were at about 70 and i took into accound the small difference. I actually ran and checked that i wasnt using my 160* hydrometer but it was right. I also put my hysrometer in tap water and its almost right on. So i know my reading are right. Just dont know why. I'm gonna bottle tomorrow and lets hope it turns out ok

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #12
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Looking at your strike temperature and pounds of grist, I'd wager you mashed cooler than you expected, unless you actually measured the mash temp. Especially if your grain was a little cooler than the calculator assumes, you could have been below 150. How's it taste?

Edit: That is a lot of crystal malt. Even if you mashed low I'm really not seeing how your FG could get so low with all those unfermentables. How does it taste? There may be something wild in there chewing on your beer. I like my ESB dry (a la Alesmith Anvil) so I mash it low, around 150, and let the crystal and the yeast add back a bit of mouthfeel. It typically finishes around 1.014.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS