Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Equipment needed for Mr. Beer 2.5 gal AG batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
FSBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Equipment needed for Mr. Beer 2.5 gal AG batches

I've got an old (but still complete) 2.5 gal Mr. Beer kit, as well as everything needed for 5 gallon extract batches. I want to try some 1/2 sized (2.5 gal) All Grain batches as described towards the end of the Mr. Beer sticky in the beginner's forum.

Besides a nylon grain bag and a 2 gallon cooler with spigot, is there anything else that I would in addition to the extract-based equipment that I already have?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

As long as your getting crushed grain (obviously you would) that should be about it. Let us know how it goes. Although I am going to have to advice you just get the 5 gallon cooler now because your going to love it and buy one anyways!

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
FSBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSabresBrewer View Post
As long as your getting crushed grain (obviously you would) that should be about it. Let us know how it goes. Although I am going to have to advice you just get the 5 gallon cooler now because your going to love it and buy one anyways!
That's what I was thinking, but then I'd need a bigger pot for boiling the wort, and probably a wort chiller, etc. This way I can still use my ~3 gallon pot and use the laundry sink filled with ice water to cool the wort. I figure with current equipment plus the 2 gallon cooler I can practice twice for each 5 gallon ingredient kit.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2813 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

all I used, as you can see by the pictures was a 2 gallon cooler, folding steamer, grainbag, rubber band and a pot large enough to boil approximately 3-3.5 gallons down to 2.5. A funnel and a strainer is a good idea, it will help keep the gunk from the bottom of the kettle out of your fermenter...The rest of the stuff you would use is standard brewing equipment...i.e. a hydrometer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
FSBrewer
Recipes 

Ut oh, I wonder if my pot will be large enough for that. I think it's only around 3 gallons total.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did one in a 3 gallon pot. I used 1 gallon for mashing, 1.5 gallons for sparge, and topped off to 2.5 gallons in the fermenter.

I'm thinking of doing a double IPA in the Mr Beer for winter. That way, the hops won't require me to sell jewelry or take out a loan at the bank.

- Eric

Quick Reply