The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Epic/Idiotic BrewDay - 3 batches, flying solo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 AM   #11
HIM_Tattoos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by munche View Post
I didn't even want to think about brewing for about a week after that.
Blasphemy....

But really that's a hardcore schedule...that's all you dude!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by munche View Post
I had a really ambitious weekend last week.

Brewed a batch and bottled a batch on Saturday, then did my first AG batch and bottled another one on Sunday. Halfway through Sunday me and my buddy were hating life and I didn't even want to think about brewing for about a week after that.
Very impressive, a brew-weekend is a ton of sustained effort! I'm terrible at back to back days, I get so tired of cleaning, and sanitizing...and drunk.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 05-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
22415 Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can totally do it. I've done three batches in a day just once...and I will never do it again.

Toward the end of the second batch I started getting "lazy" well..."drunk".

Then I fired up the gas grill and started "forgetting" about things.

It was totally fun though and if you lived around here I'd totally come over to give you moral support!

On Draft: All-Calypso APA, German Pilsener, Coffee-Cocoa Nib Stout, American Amber Ale
On-Deck: Imperial Chai Tea Brown Ale, Big Bock B*tch, something funky and belgian

Old 05-25-2010, 06:00 AM   #14
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

sounds intense pullin off 20g in 3 batches. sure you cant get no help? i think some HBTers near you wouldnt mind playin wingman for you to relieve some of the stress or to watch a boil when you have to relieve yourself:P. i know if i was around id be more then happy to help

makng a site about homebrewing for fun you can check it out a hbhda.weebly.com . im still working on it and any tips are appreciated

Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #15
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The only thing that makes less sense than running 9 mile at 7 in the morning is doing it before a 15 hour brew day.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #16
GC89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
Says it all!

Otherwise, your schedule looks feasable.

But this is homebrew, nothing ever works out as planned. Ive stopped planning my brew days all together, I just wing it.

I'd add an extra hour for OH ****, time before you're finished.
+1,

I stopped planning time schedules, I just have a list of tasked to check off in order. My first two all grain batches on a completely new, never tested system were done in the same day. They turned out to be two of my best batches yet but would I attempt it again even after having a good number of runs on the system. Probably not, inevitably something still always seems to go wrong. Your a brave man

Black Harp Brewing

Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #17
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'd expect nothing less from a fellow Hokie!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #18
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can definitely do it. Do as much prep work as you can the night before. I always print out brewsheets, fill up carboys with star-San, measure hops in numbered plastic cups, get out all equipment and set everything up in the garage, and make a couple sandwiches for quick, easy food.

I have done three seperate all grain batches in ten hours when I have prepped the night before.

If you want to schedule everything, I would make it a little less detailed so you have some wiggle room.

Hope it goes well.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #19
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
You can definitely do it. Do as much prep work as you can the night before. I always print out brewsheets, fill up carboys with star-San, measure hops in numbered plastic cups, get out all equipment and set everything up in the garage, and make a couple sandwiches for quick, easy food.

I have done three seperate all grain batches in ten hours when I have prepped the night before.

If you want to schedule everything, I would make it a little less detailed so you have some wiggle room.

Hope it goes well.

Eric
thanks for the vote of confidence! I think I half expected most of the replies to be of "Don't do it!" , "disaster waiting to happen, run away!" variety.

I'm going to have everything I can think of, and backups, cleaned & sanitized the night before. One of the reasons I'm trying to squeeze so much into one brewday is that I have a tiny DC rowhouse with no storage. I literally have all my brewgear arranged Jenga-style in an office closet and it's a real PITA to get everything out and then Tetris it all back into the closet for one 5 gal batch.

I really like your hop cups idea, and the pre-made sandwiches.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 05-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
thanks for the vote of confidence! I think I half expected most of the replies to be of "Don't do it!" , "disaster waiting to happen, run away!" variety.

I'm going to have everything I can think of, and backups, cleaned & sanitized the night before. One of the reasons I'm trying to squeeze so much into one brewday is that I have a tiny DC rowhouse with no storage. I literally have all my brewgear arranged Jenga-style in an office closet and it's a real PITA to get everything out and then Tetris it all back into the closet for one 5 gal batch.

I really like your hop cups idea, and the pre-made sandwiches.
For the hop cups, I use the clear plastic 6 oz tasting glassesand then mark the time of addition and batch on the outside (60A, 10B, etc.). Don't forget the whirlfloc and yeast fuel too.

Eric

Kegged: Belgian Dark Strong (8.9%abv)

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Quick Reply