Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Enzymes and flaked oats

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Facinerous
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Enzymes and flaked oats

So I found a recipe that I want to give a go, DC Raspberry Stout. The grain bill doesn't confuse me, but there is one thing about it that I'm not 100% on yet.

Steeping grains:
5 oz. British Chocolate
5 oz. Roasted Barley
12 oz. Flaked Oats

With flaked oats I've read that you need barley malt in order to get starch conversion.

From How to Brew.com

Quote:
Oatmeal 1 L Oats are wonderful in a porter or stout. Oatmeal lends a smooth, silky mouthfeel and a creaminess to a stout that must be tasted to be understood. Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion.
With this said Roasted Barley is an unmalted grain. So I guess I would be relying on the Chocolate for the enzymes to convert the starches in the Oats? Is this true? Or is the recipe that this person created using flaked oats with unconverted starches in the finished brew?

What do you all think?

We learn best from our failures, not our successes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 314

This recipe is designed to use the flaked oats for the silkiness and flavor additions they provide when steeped. The sugars that could be obtained by mashing with the pale malt isn't needed in the recipe.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Facinerous

Recipes 

Oi. Thanks for the response.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

You need to convert the oats or you'll end up with unconverted starch in your beers. Not only unappetizing, but for for bacteria. Chocolate malt has no diastatic power and will not convert the oats. Either leave them out of include about 1/2 lb. of pale malt.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Facinerous

Recipes 

Thanks Denny. I'm heading to the ol lhbs in a bit and I was gonna ask the guys there. From the thread I got the recipe from I have seen no complaints.

I'm still pretty new to the homebrewing sceen and I chose the recipe because it sounded pretty good, and uses ingredients that I haven't used yet. So needless to say this one has a high level of learning from my end.

What I am getting so far is the starches in the oats are not desirable and should be converted. Also that with the small grain bill supplied with recipe the starches in the oats will not be converted.

I will post what the guys say at the lhbs in a few hours.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Many people steep flaked grains and say they have no apparent problems. That doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Yea, you gain absolutely nothing but starch haze by steeping flaked oats. You'll need to mash them with some base malt.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Yea, you gain absolutely nothing but starch haze by steeping flaked oats. You'll need to mash them with some base malt.
Tell me that again. I've used oats for steeping in an oatmeal stout. The silky mouthfeel and the flavor were both there without mashing.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Tell me that again. I've used oats for steeping in an oatmeal stout. The silky mouthfeel and the flavor were both there without mashing.
Try doing it the right way and compare.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Listen to Denny and BYO article:

Quote:
Since brewing yeast does not secrete enzymes that degrade starch and do not ferment starch, any starch in wort will be found in the finished beer. And as you state, starch in beer can cause haze issues and can also cause problems with microbiological stability. Certain yeasts, such as Brettanomyces, and bacteria, such as Pediococcus, can cause super-attenuation. This means that these organisms can ferment compounds that brewing yeast do not. If starch remains in beer it is an invitation to these possible contaminants to grow and spread their funk into your beer.

Billy-Klubb

Quick Reply