Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is this enough for AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
HumboldtBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Is this enough for AG

So I'm wanting to move to AG. On my list of things to buy are a 20 gallon brew pot, immersion chiller, a 10 gallon mash tun, and a turkey fryer. I already have a 4 gallon brew pot and all the other brewing equipment. Do I really need a HLT or can I just use my brew kettle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtBrewer View Post
So I'm wanting to move to AG. On my list of things to buy are a 20 gallon brew pot, immersion chiller, a 10 gallon mash tun, and a turkey fryer. I already have a 4 gallon brew pot and all the other brewing equipment. Do I really need a HLT or can I just use my brew kettle?
I just use my brew kettle and transfer my first runnings to a bucket while I am heating my sparge water. Works great.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-16-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
forstmeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I get by with a 4 gallon kettle for sparge water, plus a tea kettle that holds about a gallon. That way I can drain into my 15 gallon brew kettle as opposed to pabloj above. If you are going to do batches larger than 5 gallons, you may need to go bigger.

I drink (homebrew), therefore I am (gassy)

Old 06-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You could also look into BIAB. No need for MLT if you go that route. I've never done it but a lot of people on here use that technique and get good results.

Quick Reply