Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Electric BIAB System Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1555 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 52731

Default Electric BIAB System Idea

I've been reading up on the BIAB and No-Chill systems and have started devising a possible system. I'd like to defer to the experience of the forum and get any feedback on the conceptual design.

This would be an all electric, single stand system. The BK would be up high enough to allow gravity draining to HDPE containers for use in the No-Chill system. So, for the BK, I am thinking of using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-...644197&sr=8-24

For the mash, the basket would be in place and the bag would line the inside of the basket. Since the basket is held 2-3 inches off the bottom of the pot, I figure this would allow enough room to install an electric heating element underneath for controlling the temperature. After mash-out, the basket would be removed, the grain bag drained, and then the boil would begin. I would also install a ball valve to control the flow into the HDPE container once the boil is done.

So, am I overlooking anything? Any reason to be concerned with possibly melting the bag with the heating element so close to it? Any feedback would be appreciated.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
NYCBrewGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not much input but I have been brewing BIAB and recently drew up a plan that was very similar to this. You could add recirculation but, as cool as it sounds, it seems overly complicated. The only practical addition I would suggest is some type of stand for draining the bag.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply