Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency too high?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Silverbullet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Efficiency too high?

At first I was pleased but now this is becoming a problem. I'm consistently getting low 90s mash efficiency and mid 80s overall efficiency. When brewing AG kits hitting way too high OG and ending up with stronger brews than planned. My temps are good and batch sizes have been spot on. Do i have to intentionally alter something to get worse efficiency or what?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1231 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Add more water?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
KeythL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
At first I was pleased but now this is becoming a problem. I'm consistently getting low 90s mash efficiency and mid 80s overall efficiency. When brewing AG kits hitting way too high OG and ending up with stronger brews than planned. My temps are good and batch sizes have been spot on. Do i have to intentionally alter something to get worse efficiency or what?
Whatever the efficiency of your setup is, consistency is the goal. Once you know the efficiency of your setup, you adjust your recipes accordingly (reduce your grain bill) in order to hit your target gravities.

Keyth

Old 07-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Silverbullet
Recipes 

I use the grain amounts that come in the kit and after the boil the amount is the same so more water won't help. I usually fly sparge and batch sparged the last one thinking it would lower efficiency. Should I alter my crush?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Either of the above. If you are getting kits it might be easier to add more water than taking grain out. Play around with it a bit.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
I use the grain amounts that come in the kit and after the boil the amount is the same so more water won't help. I usually fly sparge and batch sparged the last one thinking it would lower efficiency. Should I alter my crush?
No, you don't need to alter your crush. Either scale up your volume (sparge volume mostly) so that you can hit your OG, or instead of buying kits just buy the ingredients you need from a recipe.

If you hit 85% efficiency each time, it's easier to just plan your recipe for 85% efficiency. My system is set up for 75% efficiency, so I can easily predict/plan my recipes and ingredients.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1231 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
The principle limitation of kits is that they target a average efficiency range, which you don't have here. Adjusting your system to fit the kit, rather than the other way around, strikes me as a strange way to go, but if you want to do it, leave some of the sugar in the grain as you sparge. Don't change your crush, as that will just muck with your conversion in a way that's not reliable (if it does anything at all). The easiest approach would be to just sparge less (depending on your method) or dump some of your late runnings and replace the volume with water.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Silverbullet
Recipes 

I'm pretty consistent at this point so I think I'll just tailor my own recipe off whatever kit I'm eying. Thanks for the quick suggestions from the gurus!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #10
Silverbullet
Recipes 

I was in the middle of a brew (Scotch Ale) when I initially posted and was shooting for 5.5g into the fermentor with an OG of 1.060. I was at 1.058 preboil. Post boil came in at 1.075 but I had enough head space to top up and watered it down to 1.065. Close enough. I missed the great suggestion of just sparging less and topping up from there if I have too. Much easier to implement with minimal changes and can adjust on the fly. Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone. This is an issue I never foresaw needing to account for....

Quick Reply