New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency or should I say Inefficiency...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
tv187u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would also calibrate you temp readers. The crush might be your real issue. I would also look into doing a starch conversion test next time and make sure it looks converted that way. But realistically the only reason why it wouldn't be converted would be due to a temp issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
jaylakejr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

One question, during my sparge, should my water temp be 170? or should it be higher to compensate for the temperature loss once added?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
jaylakejr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv187u View Post
I would also calibrate you temp readers. The crush might be your real issue. I would also look into doing a starch conversion test next time and make sure it looks converted that way. But realistically the only reason why it wouldn't be converted would be due to a temp issue.
I actually thought temperature was the problem too, so on a previous beer what I did was used two thermometers to double check the accuracy. One was an instant read and the other was a regular old dial thermometer and they were within 1 degree of each other.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylakejr View Post
One question, during my sparge, should my water temp be 170? or should it be higher to compensate for the temperature loss once added?
I don't batch sparge. I fly sparge, but I think your sparge water can be hotter as long as it doesn't bring the final temperature of the mash back up above the 170 degree mark. My sparge water is often pumped up to my HLT at around 180. By the time I get some heat loss from the HLT and that 180 water works its way through my mash, I don't have any concern of going over that mythical, and probably overly cautious, 170 mark.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
jaylakejr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I wonder if my sparge water temp is too low... I think Saturday I will be brewing again and I want to get all my ducks in a row to try and up my efficiency. I am having my LHBS double mill my grains.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Here's how to isolate it. Before you sparge, take an OG reading from the mash tun. Compare it to this chart: First Wort Gravity. You should be in the mid 90% for your conversion. If you are, then you know it's a lautering problem, if you are not, then it's temperature or crush.

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
brewmadness
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I will definitely agree with questioning the crush you are getting. I was crushing at a LHBS and I was sure the crush was the issue. I even tried double crushing and it didn't help all that much. I found a new store and their mill was crushing much finer. Now I run consistantly 70-75%. It's a good chunk of cash, but I would consider getting my own mill if you can't get your LHBS to tighten their mill up for you. Heck, then you could buy some bulk grain and slowly work the cost of your mill back.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Could be a combination of a few little things. I wouldn't think a slighlty lower sparge water temp would make fifteen points of difference on its own. I could be wrong though, I've never actually tested it or batch sparged for that matter. Maybe a finer crush and slightly higher sparge temp will be all it takes to get you in the mid 60% range.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Here's how to isolate it. Before you sparge, take an OG reading from the mash tun. Compare it to this chart: First Wort Gravity. You should be in the mid 90% for your conversion. If you are, then you know it's a lautering problem, if you are not, then it's temperature or crush.
This is a good suggestion I think.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
NochEineMassBitte
G'suffa!

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I double batch sparge, and I noticed an improvement in efficiency when I began heating the first round of sparge water to 190 and the second round to 170. Because you're not doing a mashout step, you can use much hotter water in the first sparge than is normally recommended. It'll heat up the grain bed closer to 170.

I agree with the other suggestions to check your crush and thermometer as well.

Quick Reply