The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Efficiency problems

Help!

When I started AG, I didn't have a grain mill, and my friend milled my grains with his Barley Crusher. I was getting 75% efficiency on all my batches.

Fast forward, I bought my own barley crusher, and the 4 beers I've done have had terrible efficiencies. I've done nothing different, other than mill my own grains.

For example, I brewed a Janet's Brown today a missed my pre-boil gravity by over 10 points! I subbed in some DME to help compensate, but this is the 4th batch where my gravities have been way off!

I have my barley crusher at factory 12 oclock setting.

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Crush finer? I don't know what the settings on a BC are since I am a loyal Corona fan. However, if you aren't coming close to sticking a sparge, you are grinding too coarsely.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
skyebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Go back to your friends house

Old 02-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
Help!

When I started AG, I didn't have a grain mill, and my friend milled my grains with his Barley Crusher. I was getting 75% efficiency on all my batches.

Fast forward, I bought my own barley crusher, and the 4 beers I've done have had terrible efficiencies. I've done nothing different, other than mill my own grains.

For example, I brewed a Janet's Brown today a missed my pre-boil gravity by over 10 points! I subbed in some DME to help compensate, but this is the 4th batch where my gravities have been way off!

I have my barley crusher at factory 12 oclock setting.
Crank it down til you are scared then crank it down some more

Seriously. I just got my BC 3 brews ago. My first two brews were only around 70%, not what I was looking for. Get some feeler gauges ($5-8 at any auto parts and most hardware stores) and set the gap to .032-.036". Your efficiency will jump to 80% plus. Once I got my gap set right I hit 83% yesterday!!! AND I plan to crank it down some more next brew shooting for 85-88%.

BTW, I had to crush twice...the grains would not "catch" the rollers with the smaller gap, so I ran it through once at about the width of a credit card and then again at about .034" and my efficiency shot up. Make sure your braid/ manifold/ false bottom can handle a fine crush. If you are at all worried throw in some rice hulls. I had no problem with my 3/4" water heater supply braid.

Hope that helps and good luck
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB View Post
Crank it down til you are scared then crank it down some more

Seriously. I just got my BC 3 brews ago. My first two brews were only around 70%, not what I was looking for. Get some feeler gauges ($5-8 at any auto parts and most hardware stores) and set the gap to .032-.036". Your efficiency will jump to 80% plus. Once I got my gap set right I hit 83% yesterday!!! AND I plan to crank it down some more next brew shooting for 85-88%.

BTW, I had to crush twice...the grains would not "catch" the rollers with the smaller gap, so I ran it through once at about the width of a credit card and then again at about .034" and my efficiency shot up. Make sure your braid/ manifold/ false bottom can handle a fine crush. If you are at all worried throw in some rice hulls. I had no problem with my 3/4" water heater supply braid.

Hope that helps and good luck

Awesome.. that's helpful. I will go grab some feeler gauges. I read a bunch of posts saying to leave it at 12 oclock factory setting.. but something must be different.

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Quick Reply