Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > efficiency loss after the mash? or just confused about beersmith.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
drummer4gc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default efficiency loss after the mash? or just confused about beersmith.

hey all,

i just finished up my second all grain batch, and i'm still trying to learn a bit about mash efficiency, brewhouse efficiency, and how beersmith calculates it all.

i have my total efficiency set to 75%. with this, i am right on the money with my preboil volume and gravity - my measured mash efficiency is 82%, just as beersmith estimates.

however, my measured brewhouse efficiency into the fermenter is only 70%, 5% less than the program was "set" at. This makes me think that i am losing efficiency somewhere between sparging and pouring into the fermenter. I am not spilling wort, so where am i losing efficiency? or am i just confused by all the numbers to plug into my program?

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
cheezycow
Recipes 

Are you sure that you have the correct equipment profile? Could always do the calculations manually..How is your evaporation rate? Are you taking your preboil gravity?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
bannonb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I actually did a few brews on each of my first couple of rigs and estimated that brewhouse efficiency number. After using Beersmith for a while and brewing several times, I settled on 73%.

It is possible that your evaporation rate is too high which would lead to lower than expected gravity...or your sparge may not be as efficient as you would like (more likely).

If you get the same results consistently, then I say use that as your brewhouse efficiency and add a pound of grain if necessary. The most important thing is volume then original gravity (in my opinion).

Old 12-21-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
thisoneguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonb
It is possible that your evaporation rate is too high which would lead to lower than expected gravity...
I was under the impression that more evaporation -> higher gravity + lower volume. Did I miss something?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
s2cmpugh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoneguy View Post
I was under the impression that more evaporation -> higher gravity + lower volume. Did I miss something?
Same here as it seems to make sense. Less water means more concentration of sugars, etc.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My first guess would be the equipment profile like someone mentioned. IN there it has numbers to input for losses you get in your mash tun, boil kettle etc. You need to measure those losses to account for them to have everything match up.

Quick Reply