Efficiency issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using my system for over a year now, and have noticed that I almost always come out about 4 points below target on each brew. For instance, beersmith says the amber ale is 1.059, and I usually hit 1.054. Pretty consistently.

Here's my setup:

Igloo Ice Cube 15 gallon mash tun. Batch sparge (I stir it up and vorlauf again). I usually end up draining the mash tun at the end of the sparge to hit my boil volume.

Today, I even went with a longer boil (105 mins), and still only hit 1.052.

I suspect the LHBS doing a bad grind. But beyond that, is there something in my process I can look at?

Get a good grind! That's like the number one thing to do! Second is don't drain your mash until you get a good iodine test. I have to mash for 90 mins to get good conversion for some reason...

Have you set BeerSmith to appropriately adjust for mash tun loss, boil evaporation rate, kettle loss?

Also have you simply considered formulating recipes that are 4 points over what you want? ;)

If your numbers are that consistent, BeerSmith efficiency is set too high. My methods and water additions require I set it at 65% and hit my numbers.

Some good info, thanks! I seem to lose 2 gallons in my mash tun every time, and that's tipping it to get it all out on first runnings.

I'll check Beersmith for the settings too.

I wanted to add an update to this:

I had the LHBS do a double crush on the grain, and then when I added water for the batch sparge, I drained off the extra gallon of loss BEFORE stirring for the 10 min batch sparge time.

I then proceeded as usual, 90 min boil and with beersmith set at 75% efficiency, I hit the numbers spot on!

So between those two things, one or both did the trick. Next time I forget to have the LHBS double crush, I'll pull the extra runnings and see.

Thanks all!

Back