Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
dregus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Efficiency Issue

Hello all,

I have brewed about 10 batches on my homemade brewing system. The first 7 batches were just fine. The last three were way off.

I am having trouble with the efficiency. The last batch I brewed today should have yeilded 1.062 OG according to the setting in ProMash at 75% efficiency. I ended up with about 1.045 which gives me 54% efficiency. I hit all the temperature targets. The saccrification rest was at 154 degrees and we mashed out at 171 degrees if not a little hotter. I felt that the temps were right but the yield was really low.

This as happened the last three times. Last time I did not hit the mash out temp and I thought that was the problem but it did not seem to fix the problem this time when I hit the mash out temp.

Any thoughts? Please help.

Dennis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Did you have to use topoff water?

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #3
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had this same problem, Once when I moved to a keggle when there was a great deal of lost wort still left in the tun, and then I found out I needed to test the ph of the water, it was way off all the time. The PH test strips are way off, i would not trust them. As soon as i could test the ph correctly and got it to 5.2 my efficiency when way up.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
dregus
Recipes 

I used the 5.2 pH stabalizer.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
dregus
Recipes 

But I tried batch sparging this time because my pump was not working. I could never get my sparging system to fly-sparge correctly. It would not pump at low flow and therefore sparging only took about 30 minutes. That is why I tried batch sparging this time.

Quick Reply