The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency/Filter Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Adeering
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Efficiency/Filter Question

So we started BIAB the last 2 batches and got really poor efficiency (60 for first batch and 66 for second) now our temp control wasnt that great as we are working out the finer touches of our equipment and maintaining the temperature but i dont think thats the problem. And the grain was crushed well by AHS so think that isnt the problem.

So I think the actual problem is how i set up the equipment in beersmith and taking into account the water left in the bottom of my pot.

Im working on getting the equipment profile dialed in with all the correct amounts and our next brew going to take the time to measure all the volumes throughout the process and put it in beersmith.

So my question is, should i just accept the loss of what seems like almost a gallon of water below the output and always get more ingredients to compensate or make a filter and try and get that out. Would prefer not having tons of trub in the fermenter (though i know it doesnt do much to the outcome)

Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Forget about the software right now and concentrate on your process, volumes, temperatures as that what makes the beer the way you want it. Once you get accurate measures of these items you can then dial in the software to help you process the information. Some trub is beneficial to the yeast as well. Take your time to measure and calibrate everything in the process from mash temps to kettle volumes, etc and everything else will be much easier.......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thats the plan for this weekend when we brew, get everything down on amounts

Kegged: Hop n Pop #54
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Dionysus' Ambrosia, an Amber Ale, Dragons Breath, and many more

Check out my Android Brew Day Assistant BrewAide