New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency - Fermentables VS Flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
mashuganabrew
Brewing... could anything be better?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default Efficiency - Fermentables VS Flavor?

I've read many times about efficiency and extracting the fermentables from the mash, using protein rests, etc. That's all good, but my question is this.... does that always mean we're extracting the best or most desirable flavors? Is there a way to maximize taste? So, what if I have all the sugars extracted, but am I capitalizing on the best flavor extraction or is this a moot point that should only be considered when making the recipe?

[SIZE="1"]Primary 1: Beach Bum Belgian Peach Ale
Primary 2: Farmhouse Rye II
Primary 3: NSB Test IPA
Primary 4: Hair of the Dog Breakfast Stout
Primary 5: Wrong Color IPA
Primary 6: Ginger Beer
Primary 7: Wonderland Winter IPA

Drinking: WAAAY too many to list.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

Keep scrolling down this forum section until you find the post titled "great quote from palmer on mash efficiency". I'm on my phone or i'd link it.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Also important to keep in mind that aside from the grain bill which really provides the character of the beer, the strain of yeast chosen along with the selected fermentation temperature really plays a huge part in the actual flavors the beer takes on

I know that once I fully understood the role yeast plays and how to control fermentation I truly started getting the results I wanted out of my product, regardless of the grain bill of the beer

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
blacksailj
Recipes 

Its mainly your mash temps (ball park range. example: 122-130F,130-150F,150-158F) that create the ratio of unfermentable sugars to fermentable sugars in your wort that will help determine the level of flavor and body. Your recipe and grains that go into it makes a huge difference as well.

Quick Reply