Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency and Crush

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
ProfessorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Efficiency and Crush

I'm a relatively new all-grain brewer (4 batches so far) with low efficiency. While I've been experimenting with both fly and batch sparging, I've read a lot about the effect of the crush.

For a brewer without a mill, what company has the best crush? I've not had mush success with Northern Brewer's crush. Austin Home Brew Supply looks a bit better. Any thoughts?

Tap #1: Smooth Brown Ale
Tap #2: Black IPA
Primary #1: India Brown Ale
Primary #2: -empty-
Secondary: -empty-
Upcoming Brews: Scottish Export, Czech Pilsner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

None of them are great. A mill will pay for itself very quickly, especially if buying in bulk, and you should.

The best I have experienced is the double mill from farmhouse, but it didn't take me long to realize that a mill was essential.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
losdesviados
Recipes 

Brewmasters Warehouse is much better. I went from the low 60%'s buying crushed grains from Northern Brewer to the mid 70%'s buying from Brewmasters Warehouse. I made no other changes.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorBrew View Post
For a brewer without a mill
Your best option is to correct the problem at hand - buy a mill. As mentioned it will pay for itself over time, though that takes a while of course since the extra cost to crush is pretty minuscule. With a mill you won't have to worry about this any longer. And even if the place you order from has a good crush there's always the inevitable mess up where you get completely uncrushed grains and find yourself in a bind.

Rev.

Quick Reply