Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency analysis spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #51
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Hey Kaiser! Thank you for the spreadsheet, I'll be using it on my next brew to track down some efficiency issues.
You're welcome. It's one of those geeky things that are neat to know. And with the increasing popularity of smart phones many brewers have something capable of running a spreadsheet with them when they brew. That's why I started formating my spreadsheets in a way that makes them easier to use on small screens.

Don't worry about +/- 2 or even more. I'm concerned about +/- 10+. If you want to go all the way, just take a guess on the expected error of the measurements and enter this on the right hand side. This way you get confidence ranges on the restults.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #52
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi Kai, I am finally getting to the point in my AG progress that this is beginning to make sense to me - thanks for your work on this.
One thing that I don't understand on the spreadsheet is the difference between the mash gravity and the into kettle gravity.

I am definetely missing something, but shouldn't the mash gravity be the same as the wort in the kettle (prior to sparge)?

Are you taking the mash measurement while the grain is still converting in the mash tun? If this is the case, you are likely not fully converted.

Can you help me understand this part? Thanks Kai

Old 11-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #53
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post
I am definetely missing something, but shouldn't the mash gravity be the same as the wort in the kettle (prior to sparge)?
Yes it is. Its the first running gravity or the mash gravity. You can take it from the mash (having a refractometer helps) or the first runnings. I take a sample from the latter. I also test pH on that sample. Not because you need to know that value but because it like to have that data.

Kai

Quick Reply