Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency analysis spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #21
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
I don't know much about the moisture content of grain, but if beersmith says that german pilsner has 4%, is it safe to assume that is correct for my grain (which is still sealed from brewmaster's warehouse).

I’d think so.

So far I haven’t really accounted for moisture in my grain and always worked with the 80% as a good approximation of extract potential. Turns out that with 4% moisture the actual extract is more like 77%.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #22
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds good, I'm using the extract values from beersmith too. Those are probably as good numbers as I'm going to get.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #23
mthompson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Any thoughts on why I cannot access the file. the link says "403 Forbidden blah, blah, blah" and so does the .xls when I right-click/save file as.

Thanks,

Old 03-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #24
freddyb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson View Post
Any thoughts on why I cannot access the file. the link says "403 Forbidden blah, blah, blah" and so does the .xls when I right-click/save file as.

Thanks,
I get the same error too. Can some one email the file to me? soonerbh at gmail.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #25
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
That leads somewhat into my next question; which is can I expect 100% conversion? Also, I know that some extract should be expected to be left in the spent grain to avoid getting unpleasant stuff from the grain, what would be a reasonable target value? 5 or 10% maybe?
100% is only possible in the laboratory.

I was just listening to one of Jamil's podcasts where he discussed not trying to get much > 70% efficiency to avoid extracting undesirable flavours. It was either the Kolsch or the Dusseldorf Alt podcast.

GT

Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #26
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson View Post

Thanks,
There must be a problem with my hosting provider. If it hasn't cleared up by tomorrow I'll have to contact them.

Kai

Old 03-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #27
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub? View Post
100% is only possible in the laboratory.
100% conversion efficiency is certainly possible but you may have to work for it by either milling really fine (which may cause you to spend the whole day lautering) or use a decoction schedule during which all or almost all the grain is boiled.

Quote:
I was just listening to one of Jamil's podcasts where he discussed not trying to get much > 70% efficiency to avoid extracting undesirable flavours. It was either the Kolsch or the Dusseldorf Alt podcast.
Now what Jamil is talking about here is the efficiency into the kettle. This includes lautering losses and I agree with him that you need to leave some efficiency behind at this stage for wort quality sake. I don't agree with his 70% though and for me that number is more like 80-85%.

But what needs to be taken into account here is how did you get the 70%:

I can have a very poor conversion efficiency of 75% and excessive lautering with an efficiency of 93%. The combined efficiency is 70% but the intensive lauter may have caused oversparging. Or I can have a very good conversion efficiency of 93% or more and a very relaxed lauter with an efficiency of 75% (this can easily achieved with no-sparge) which will produce a very high quality wort. If you ask me I'll take the latter of the two options.

I get my 80-85% from aiming for a conversion efficiency of 95%. I then need a lauter efficiency of 84-89% which can easily be achieved with a 2 run-off batch sparge and only 15% boil off.

Kai

Old 03-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2347 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Argh! I get the forbidden error too. Can't wait to see this!

Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #29
bluehouse
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Still forbidden.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #30
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Argh! I get the forbidden error too. Can't wait to see this!
Sorry about that. I hope to get this resolved by today. As far as I know I'm current with my payments to them.

Unfortunately I don't even have another place to put the spreadsheet. HBT doen't let me host anythin else but pictures.

Kai

Quick Reply