The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
earwig's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 827
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Come on, you know neither statement is true. It's simply a choice of techniques and one works as well as the other if done correctly. My efficiency is usually in the 83-87% range. It takes me less equipment than when I fly sparged, it takes less time, and it minimizes the possibility of tannin extraction. But it's a choice I made, just like you made the choice to fly sparge. Now, I know if a lot of people who have switched from fly to batch sparging and never looked back. It's as much a personal choice as how you like to cook or what movies you want to watch.
Buy why would anyone want to fly sparge if it is pointless? Why would the equipment still exist? I don't know anyone who just likes their brewing to take an extra hour.
__________________
earwig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #22
sgraham602
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sgraham602's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 322
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

my next purchase will be a grain mill! I'll be paying closer attention to my sparge volumes. Thanks all.

__________________
sgraham602 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
pannell77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: westerville, ohio
Posts: 687
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

i batch sparged this morning and got 83% efficiency, 1.5 qt/lb mash ratio, 90min mash at 156deg. Bought all my grains from austinhomebrew.com and had them mill everything.

__________________
Looking for quality Chalkboard or Dry Erase Tap Handles at an affordable price?

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com



My Keezer Build
pannell77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,246
Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig

Buy why would anyone want to fly sparge if it is pointless? Why would the equipment still exist? I don't know anyone who just likes their brewing to take an extra hour.
Because some people feel that it is better, and so of course the market is going to respond to the needs of potential customers. If everyone suddenly decided that you needed 3 different peelers to properly peel a carrot, they would make those too. Basically it seems like Denny is taking to non-offensive road and saying that it is just a matter of preference. If you prefer to use the fly sparge method and spend an extra hour on your brew day then that it your right. Just know that there are people that have already cleaned up their gear by the time you're making your first hop addition and are getting the same efficiency doing it.
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #25
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
earwig's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 827
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Because some people feel that it is better, and so of course the market is going to respond to the needs of potential customers. If everyone suddenly decided that you needed 3 different peelers to properly peel a carrot, they would make those too. Basically it seems like Denny is taking to non-offensive road and saying that it is just a matter of preference. If you prefer to use the fly sparge method and spend an extra hour on your brew day then that it your right. Just know that there are people that have already cleaned up their gear by the time you're making your first hop addition and are getting the same efficiency doing it.
Yes, and you're basically calling anyone who fly sparges dumb.
__________________
earwig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #26
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,246
Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig

Yes, and you're basically calling anyone who fly sparges dumb.
Not what I said though is it. They just haven't yet come to understand that you can get just as good results in much less time. Only when you know that you can do just as well but choose not to do you approach stupidity in my book, but that's still just a matter of preference.
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #27
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
earwig's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 827
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Not what I said though is it. They just haven't yet come to understand that you can get just as good results in much less time. Only when you know that you can do just as well but choose not to do you approach stupidity in my book, but that's still just a matter of preference.
haha those 2 dudes who worked at northern brewer must have heard this before... yet they still fly sparge when brewing all grain. You think their stupid. It's cool lol. There are probably 1000s of brewers that have heard this and still fly sparge... what dumbasses.
__________________
earwig is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #28
Mobeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 88
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

This is starting to get exciting! Please continue gentlemen.

__________________
Mobeers is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #29
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,246
Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobeers
This is starting to get exciting! Please continue gentlemen.
Nah I'm done. If he wasn't going to take it from Denny Conn he sure isn't going to take it from me.
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #30
t_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 24
Default

To be honest I just DON'T GET why fly sparging takes longer. I do a double batch sparge (no mash out, 10 minutes rest after each sparge addition is added, vorlouf every time) and it takes a while. 15 mins total for vorlouf, 20 mins total for sparge rests and prolly 20 mins to collect runnings: over 1hr total. I dont fly sparge b/c I only have one kettle and my mash tun is rectangular. Why is fly sparging considered to be the longer process of the two? Does it just take a really long time to collect the runnings (ie do you throttle down the valves really slow)? TIA!

__________________
t_stout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools