The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Come on, you know neither statement is true. It's simply a choice of techniques and one works as well as the other if done correctly. My efficiency is usually in the 83-87% range. It takes me less equipment than when I fly sparged, it takes less time, and it minimizes the possibility of tannin extraction. But it's a choice I made, just like you made the choice to fly sparge. Now, I know if a lot of people who have switched from fly to batch sparging and never looked back. It's as much a personal choice as how you like to cook or what movies you want to watch.
Buy why would anyone want to fly sparge if it is pointless? Why would the equipment still exist? I don't know anyone who just likes their brewing to take an extra hour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #22
sgraham602

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

my next purchase will be a grain mill! I'll be paying closer attention to my sparge volumes. Thanks all.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 17

i batch sparged this morning and got 83% efficiency, 1.5 qt/lb mash ratio, 90min mash at 156deg. Bought all my grains from austinhomebrew.com and had them mill everything.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig

Buy why would anyone want to fly sparge if it is pointless? Why would the equipment still exist? I don't know anyone who just likes their brewing to take an extra hour.
Because some people feel that it is better, and so of course the market is going to respond to the needs of potential customers. If everyone suddenly decided that you needed 3 different peelers to properly peel a carrot, they would make those too. Basically it seems like Denny is taking to non-offensive road and saying that it is just a matter of preference. If you prefer to use the fly sparge method and spend an extra hour on your brew day then that it your right. Just know that there are people that have already cleaned up their gear by the time you're making your first hop addition and are getting the same efficiency doing it.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #25
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Because some people feel that it is better, and so of course the market is going to respond to the needs of potential customers. If everyone suddenly decided that you needed 3 different peelers to properly peel a carrot, they would make those too. Basically it seems like Denny is taking to non-offensive road and saying that it is just a matter of preference. If you prefer to use the fly sparge method and spend an extra hour on your brew day then that it your right. Just know that there are people that have already cleaned up their gear by the time you're making your first hop addition and are getting the same efficiency doing it.
Yes, and you're basically calling anyone who fly sparges dumb.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #26
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig

Yes, and you're basically calling anyone who fly sparges dumb.
Not what I said though is it. They just haven't yet come to understand that you can get just as good results in much less time. Only when you know that you can do just as well but choose not to do you approach stupidity in my book, but that's still just a matter of preference.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #27
earwig

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Not what I said though is it. They just haven't yet come to understand that you can get just as good results in much less time. Only when you know that you can do just as well but choose not to do you approach stupidity in my book, but that's still just a matter of preference.
haha those 2 dudes who worked at northern brewer must have heard this before... yet they still fly sparge when brewing all grain. You think their stupid. It's cool lol. There are probably 1000s of brewers that have heard this and still fly sparge... what dumbasses.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #28
Mobeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is starting to get exciting! Please continue gentlemen.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #29
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobeers
This is starting to get exciting! Please continue gentlemen.
Nah I'm done. If he wasn't going to take it from Denny Conn he sure isn't going to take it from me.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #30
t_stout
Recipes 

To be honest I just DON'T GET why fly sparging takes longer. I do a double batch sparge (no mash out, 10 minutes rest after each sparge addition is added, vorlouf every time) and it takes a while. 15 mins total for vorlouf, 20 mins total for sparge rests and prolly 20 mins to collect runnings: over 1hr total. I dont fly sparge b/c I only have one kettle and my mash tun is rectangular. Why is fly sparging considered to be the longer process of the two? Does it just take a really long time to collect the runnings (ie do you throttle down the valves really slow)? TIA!

Quick Reply